My life is spinning out of control. Or more rotisserie fun.

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
So I finally finished restoring a Genesis 1000 Redhead. Now, it's time to get all dirty again. My first two cooks were rotisserie chicken with drip pan potatoes and grilled asparagus. Real creative, I know. But oh so freakin' delicious!

First up was Bryan S's famous Roadside Chicken. I marinated the bird for 8 hours before spinning it.
IMG_3316.JPG
IMG_3321.JPG
IMG_3325.JPG
fullsizeoutput_2c4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2b8.jpeg

Next up was Jamie Purviance's Hickory Smoked Chicken from Weber's New Real Grilling. It was a beer can recipe that I adapted to rotisserie. There was a 2 hour dry brine, followed by a rinse and rub (granualted onion, paprika, brown sugar and pepper).
IMG_3467.JPG

Both chickens were juicy and delicious! I still have two whole chickens in the freezer. Rotisserie chicken on the genny gasser could become weekly Sunday supper.

The grill and cooks are fantastic! Nothing quite like rotisserie chicken with taters!

R

Sweet grill we bought my dad a red Genesis with the wood trim the first year Weber released them and he was a charcoal man up to that day but loved that grill and babied it for over 20 years until we bought him a shiny new stainless steel Weber replacement.

Would love to find an old one and try to refinish it as nice as yours for him!! He is in his 80's but still cooking up a storm, making sausage, bacon and pretty much anything you can imagine.

Thanks for posting! You've inspired me to wipe the dust off my rotisserie.

Also, found the recipes you mentioned.

Which one was better?
Also, about how long did it take to get the chicken to 165?

Tasty looking birds! Hopefully you booked those carcasses down for stock. Rotobirfs make a great start for soup!

The grill and cooks are fantastic! Nothing quite like rotisserie chicken with taters!

R
Thanks Rich! Those drip pan taters are my favorite way to have spuds.

Great looking feast!
Thanks Jeff!

Looks like a fine feed! Twice!!
Thanks Timothy!

Sweet grill we bought my dad a red Genesis with the wood trim the first year Weber released them and he was a charcoal man up to that day but loved that grill and babied it for over 20 years until we bought him a shiny new stainless steel Weber replacement.

Would love to find an old one and try to refinish it as nice as yours for him!! He is in his 80's but still cooking up a storm, making sausage, bacon and pretty much anything you can imagine.
Thanks Christopher! What a great story. The restoration was a lot of work because I've never tried anything like it before and I'm slow. But it was also a lot of fun and I'm already looking for my next project.

Thanks for posting! You've inspired me to wipe the dust off my rotisserie.

Also, found the recipes you mentioned.
Which one was better?
Also, about how long did it take to get the chicken to 165?
Thanks Kyle! And thanks for linking to the recipes. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I'm leaning towards Purviance's Hickory Smoked chicken. That rub was amazing and it is almost set it and forget. I love Bryan's Roadside chicken too, though it takes more tending with all the basting; the drip pan potatoes are incredible with all that basting fluid dripping down.

The birds I used were about 4 pounds and took just over an hour to hit 165.

Tasty looking birds! Hopefully you booked those carcasses down for stock. Rotobirfs make a great start for soup!
Thanks Case! We have a couple of gallons of stock in the freezer already, so these carcasses were not used to make stock. But future birds will be used once our stock of stock is depleted.

Thanks for sharing J Grotz. Time to pull out the roto spike and get to cookin
Thanks Eric! Get that roto going! You won't regret it!

Those are beautiful birds. I love rotisserie chicken.

You trying the two recipes reminded me of when I first got a WSM.

I cooked three chickens one night based on recipes from Gary Wiviott’s “Low and Slow” book.

Buttermilk Brine, Tequila Lime Brine, and Thai Marinade. They were all good, but the Buttermilk Brine was the winner.

Back