My kitchen is a mess

When possible I try to prep the non-contaminating ingredients like vegetables, spices, etc. before working with the meat so that I can use the same utensils and cutting board after wiping them off. Then when everything's done I do the actual washing.

We have a kitchen counter that's 4' x 8', and it's often full of dirty dishes etc. Sometimes I'll use 4-5 plates and pans, multiple knives just for a simple cook.

Here's the issue in my book. If you don't start with a clean kitchen, you're just piling onto a bigger mess. The last one to add to the pile gets blamed for the whole mess. We have an 8x10 galley style kitchen, so I feel your pain here. I always try to clean things up before I start. Then as others have said, get everything you anticipate using out prior to starting and clean as you go...

Looking back on some of the suggestions, I'm almost embarrassed to have posted this thread.
The solutions are all common sense kind of ideas, and I consider myself a common sense kind of guy. Obviously not when it comes to keeping a mess to a minimum during a cook.
Just last night, I cooked some steaks, brats, hamburger and veggies. I paid attention to what I was doing and sure enough, several of the points made earlier were exactly what I was NOT doing.
So I tried to quickly change my MO and follow the helpful tips. I know it's basic stuff, but I wasn't doing it.
I'm pleased to report that my kitchen cleanup was much easier. Thanks again for the help.

Looking back on some of the suggestions, I'm almost embarrassed to have posted this thread.
The solutions are all common sense kind of ideas, and I consider myself a common sense kind of guy. Obviously not when it comes to keeping a mess to a minimum during a cook.
Just last night, I cooked some steaks, brats, hamburger and veggies. I paid attention to what I was doing and sure enough, several of the points made earlier were exactly what I was NOT doing.
So I tried to quickly change my MO and follow the helpful tips. I know it's basic stuff, but I wasn't doing it.
I'm pleased to report that my kitchen cleanup was much easier. Thanks again for the help.

Don't be embarrassed. It's only when people get real on forums that we learn anything. Great thread and you got some great replies! Thanks.

Aluminum foil does the trick. Just foil the trays, plates, etc. Once your done using it throw out the foil. Saves you from having to do as many dishes and also helps protect from cross contamination during food prep. If you use paper plates to eat on, your only left washing utensils and the occasional pot or pan.

I like to save & wash those small plastic tubs from the store that are used for sour cream, salsa's etc. I use those to mix my rubs in with the lid on and after use you could just toss them in the recycling. If I bring BBQ sauce to the grill I'll use a plastic or Styrofoam cup to doctor it up in, than rinse it and toss that into the recycling.
Plastic ziploc bags are great for marinating and adding rub to chicken pcs, chops, country style ribs etc, basically the "shake & bake " method. For adding rubs to brisket, butts and ribs I use a handheld flour sifter.. More uniform coverage and less mess on the counter than a shaker type bottle.
HTH

Tim

I have a fairly big kitchen, but also run into this. Generally, I try to keep everything in one area, have pre-made rubs ready to go and clean as I cook. Works alright, and I generally clean up before my pics.

And think about taking notes as you go - you may have noticed the cooking log link on the operating tips page, try using something like that to keep track of what works and what doesn't work quite so well.
These forums seem like the perfect place to ask 'dumb' questions (as I like to ask) being that there are so many posters who have contributed thousands and thousands of times. What's the old saying - it ain't their first rodeo!!

Whatever im smoking is placed in sink then use foil tins one for preparing one for transport and clean up as I go.Saved oversized condiment shakers for my rubs.

Back