My irrational kettle upgrades.

I bought a Weber mastertouch.

It bothers me that the grate on it isn't stainless steel, I also don't like the GBS system. I don't need a hole in the middle of my grill. So I ordered the stainless steel grate.

I also bought a Tel-Tru to replace the dome thermometer out of principle. It bothers me that the bi-metal thermometer it ships with is so inaccurate.

Neither of these upgrades actually do anything to change the cooking but they make me happy.

Now I'm looking longingly at a Slow n Sear. Is the plus version worth the extra cost?

Sounds like you did things that you liked.

I'd love to see pics of the new thermometer installed.

I would also change out the lid thermometer but I don't like where it's mounted. I'm currently using a Tel Tru thermometer which clips onto one of the vent holes.

I just ordered a temp probe port to add to my kettle. I was surprised at how much smoke was leaking out from where the lid stepped on the cables.

I took my dremel and cut a small notch for the wires to ride in. However, I haven't used a constant read thermometer in a very long time so the notch is about sealed up.

FWIW, I got a stainless grill grate a while back and have been very happy with it. The stock thermometer doesn't bother me much. It's close enough for BBQ/grilling IMHO.

If you want to cut a slot - you may need something that runs at higher speed than your drill.
A year or two ago, I picked-up a "cheapo" angle-grinder at my local Menards for about 12 bucks with a 1/8-inch cutoff wheel.
Harbor freight will probably also have some cheapos like that - they work fine if you only use 'em once in a rare while.
(I originally used it to trim-down a pesky Cast Iron toilet sewer pipe flush with the floor - but have found numerous uses for it and got my 12 bucks worth out of it long ago....)
[sharpen mower blades etc.]

It cut the slot in my WSM like a champ and did not chip-up the porcelain

I've seen Harbor Freight ads for them at something like $9.99! For as much as I'd use one, probably last me the rest of my life!

Back