My girlfriend volunteered me... OMG, what have I gotten into?

Time is on our side right now. Cook and bag. You will be ready. My only worry is you selling more than 8 butts.
I agree. Over the weekend I cooked a 7.5 lb butt and sent a big portion of it with the GF so she could share it at work today. As you said, the big question is how many sandwiches to prepare for. They are anticipating 100 sandwiches. At 1/3-ish of a pound, I need 34 pounds of finished pork. If I assume an 8.5 (or bigger) butt produces 50% usable meat, we're at 64 pounds of pre-cooked weight. So, call it 8 butts, averaging 8 pounds or bigger.

I'm starting to think I should cook at least one more, maybe two.

I agree. Over the weekend I cooked a 7.5 lb butt and sent a big portion of it with the GF so she could share it at work today. As you said, the big question is how many sandwiches to prepare for. They are anticipating 100 sandwiches. At 1/3-ish of a pound, I need 34 pounds of finished pork. If I assume an 8.5 (or bigger) butt produces 50% usable meat, we're at 64 pounds of pre-cooked weight. So, call it 8 butts, averaging 8 pounds or bigger.

I'm starting to think I should cook at least one more, maybe two.
That’s a good sized sandwich! I wish I was closer to you. I’d give you a hand and eat a couple of those sandwiches. Best wishes to you!

You have over 6 weeks. Just don't get complacent. Okay best way to reheat? Probably sous vide. If you have the space definitely freeze most. It will take a lot of pressure off. Especially if you only have to worry about heating up. This will save a lot of stress! Freeze 4-8 butts. Cook the rest the days before. Either refrigerate or have it piping hot fresh day of. I guess the best would be to have it all cooked before the day of. That way you only have to re-heat. That is enough to worry about. A finishing sauce, and a mustard sauce will help. The proper bun can go a long way too. I see that you do not have to provide anything else? Plates, napkins. Drinks, sides? Okay so worry about best way to re-heat!

Even if I used this as an excuse to buy more bbq capacity, (duck, GF alert) It would probably still be smarter to cook in advance. I do this once a year. If I could do more in advance I would be much happier.

Sous vide works pretty well in an insulated picnic cooler, especially if you start with hot water and cover the water surface with cheap ping pong balls. Remember that sous vide heaters under full draw will pull close to 10 amps on a 120v circuit.

I heard last night that the charity event has been postponed until June. And there is a question on whether the city health department will let people sell homemade food in these events in the future (kneejerk reaction to COVID-19.)

Thank you everybody!

Howard sorry to hear the event was cancelled. I was looking forward to the tales to be told on how you got through the day. Maybe next year.

Back