My Genesis E-330 Setup

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
This is in response to a post in another thread asking for pics of my setup. Decided to start this thread so it didn't hijack that thread about cooking pizza.

I had to go back in the archives to find these. Funny how over time you forget to take pics because it all becomes so routine. I use my grill 3 or 4 times a week (down from 5-6 times), so it's just there -- don't take more pics..

First pic is my Genesis after adding the side expansion cabinets (no longer available.). Hardly looks like a Gennie, does it? Notice in the lower left hand corner under the right table sits the original upper grate that I replaced a few years later. Details below.
P1080487 After Cabinetry - Late Afternoon.JPG

All the following pics were taken on my earlier E/W 3-burner Genesis -- I did the same on my E-330. I frequently use wood chunks to generate smoke, but found that the smoke would gush out under all four sides of the lid. By adding 3/4'x1/8" woodstove gasket using high temp adhesive, the smoke now all goes out the back. (Trying to seal all sides would result in a potential propane bomb -- don't try it -- the air flow is essential. Words of lucky experience.)
P1050195.JPGP1050196.JPG

I don't really remember the original reasons for adding an upper grate other than wanting more real estate for larger family cooks. The upper grate tremendously increases the versatility of the grill and I've found it's perfect for pizza. I made it just high enough to clear the original "bun warmer" grate (though I had to cut off the back rail so I can leave them both on). The bun warmer is now seldom used unless for some reason I want more than the 7 inches clearance under the upper grate which is easily removed. To make the upper, I purchased 7-8" long 3/8" stainless carriage bolts (4), 8 fender washers, 8 nuts and an appropriately sized grate. Assemble per pics. The difficulty today is finding a replacement grate, so when I needed to rebuild due to rusted nuts, I had to reuse the grate which fortunately is still in good shape.
P1050191.JPGP1050192.JPGP1050194.JPG

After years of grilling in the ellements, in 2012 I built myself a grill space where I can cook in shelter, comfort and light -- still outside. Here are opposite views of the same space when all was still new. This time the E-330 but before expansion cabinets.
P1080272 (2).JPG

P1080317.JPG

Yes, I built the porch with full permit and inspections. Didn't want any later issues. The only additional requirement to my plan was to double the outside header beam. I do admit, I got lots of comments from the inspectors about building it right. 😊

The cabinets are fantastic! My dearly beloved bought them as a surprise and managed to get them in the small (about one year) window they were available. I did comment on how much I liked them, but it was a real surprise. I've also built a couple of black walnut cabinets (one is partly visible above my then WSM in the first view). My other hobby was woodworker -- now mostly wood carving.

Rich.

That is an ingenious pizza set up for a sidewinder grill. I may rig one of those for my silver b.

Heat comes up from the front e/w burner, then hits the dome lid, then goes over the top of the pie on its way to the vent in the back.

Just like how the airflow in a real pizza oven goes. Only difference is your flow is front to back. Most pizza ovens go back to front.

Really nice. Really cool with the expansion cabinets. I may also work on one of those grate toppers.

This is in response to a post in another thread asking for pics of my setup. Decided to start this thread so it didn't hijack that thread about cooking pizza.

I had to go back in the archives to find these. Funny how over time you forget to take pics because it all becomes so routine. I use my grill 3 or 4 times a week (down from 5-6 times), so it's just there -- don't take more pics..

First pic is my Genesis after adding the side expansion cabinets (no longer available.). Hardly looks like a Gennie, does it? Notice in the lower left hand corner under the right table sits the original upper grate that I replaced a few years later. Details below.
View attachment 56510

All the following pics were taken on my earlier E/W 3-burner Genesis -- I did the same on my E-330. I frequently use wood chunks to generate smoke, but found that the smoke would gush out under all four sides of the lid. By adding 3/4'x1/8" woodstove gasket using high temp adhesive, the smoke now all goes out the back. (Trying to seal all sides would result in a potential propane bomb -- don't try it -- the air flow is essential. Words of lucky experience.)
View attachment 56511View attachment 56512

I don't really remember the original reasons for adding an upper grate other than wanting more real estate for larger family cooks. The upper grate tremendously increases the versatility of the grill and I've found it's perfect for pizza. I made it just high enough to clear the original "bun warmer" grate (though I had to cut off the back rail so I can leave them both on). The bun warmer is now seldom used unless for some reason I want more than the 7 inches clearance under the upper grate which is easily removed. To make the upper, I purchased 7-8" long 3/8" stainless carriage bolts (4), 8 fender washers, 8 nuts and an appropriately sized grate. Assemble per pics. The difficulty today is finding a replacement grate, so when I needed to rebuild due to rusted nuts, I had to reuse the grate which fortunately is still in good shape.
View attachment 56513View attachment 56514View attachment 56515

After years of grilling in the ellements, in 2012 I built myself a grill space where I can cook in shelter, comfort and light -- still outside. Here are opposite views of the same space when all was still new. This time the E-330 but before expansion cabinets.
View attachment 56518

View attachment 56519
Rich, that is the most tricked out E330 that I have ever seen. Way cool!

Very nice, would love to have a set of those cabinets for my E320.
It's really too bad Weber withdrew them. $400 yes, but they added a lot to the grill. Looks, double table space and lot of out of sight storage with three shelves on each side. I keep most accessories including cast iron skillets on one side, wood chunks and aluminum on the other. My cooking utensils (tongs, spatulas, paper towels), gloves, skewers, thermo, etc go in the walnut cabinet I built for them. I now have a 3x4' flame/grease retardant mat in front of the grill and a smaller one under the WSM. The Q for my wife sits on a repurposed lawn table between. The entire grill deck/porch is 8' x 33'.

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_164418037.jpg
    IMG_20220803_164418037.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 25
It's really too bad Weber withdrew them. $400 yes, but they added a lot to the grill. Looks, double table space and lot of out of sight storage with three shelves on each side. I keep most accessories including cast iron skillets on one side, wood chunks and aluminum on the other. My cooking utensils (tongs, spatulas, paper towels), gloves, skewers, thermo, etc go in the walnut cabinet I built for them. I now have a 3x4' flame/grease retardant mat in front of the grill and a smaller one under the WSM. The Q for my wife sits on a repurposed lawn table between. The entire grill deck/porch is 8' x 33'.
Rich, what kind of dog do you have lying on the floor in this shot? He looks interesting.

Affenpinschers aren't very common in the US, being a native of Germany. The are often called the "monkey-faced terrier". Very intelligent, independent and fun loving, puppy-like all their lives. Can be a real handful!

Hi Rich, has Tonto had any experience with young kids between 2-8 years old?
I have grandkids that age, and wondered.

Thanks!

Tonto hasn't, Bob, but my last Affen, Dante, loved kids of all ages. It just really depends on the dog. We had a female, Mia, at that time who couldn't abide kids. In general, the word seems to be that Affenpinschers may be too frenetic with kids. They just aren't what you would call mild-mannered as a rule. Not mean, just can be difficult to manage.

Affen Rescue in general says not for homes with small children.

Back