My free kettle pick up today

Yeah thats worth it, you can get a new ash sweep for about $ 15 - 20, cut the old one off with a grinder, get some oven cleaner , steel wool 0000, and a lot of elbow grease and you will be amazed at how clean it will turn out.

Truthfully I wouldn't go nuts on it, clean the heck out of the grate, get it real hot for a half hour, close it down to cook temp slap some meat on it, get a couple cold ones, enjoy your free BBQ

This is a rusted up "Hex Drive" ash sweep system, identified by the thumbscrew.
I would get rid of it if it's not working and install the newer "H Drive" system.
It looks like it had the OTS ash tray on it (spring clips still present).
20140610_155838.jpg

This image shows that the lid has been dropped as evidenced by the bent handle.
I would remove the wood handle and gently tap the handle strap back to square...rubber mallet works well.
The wood handle pieces can be scrubbed with warm water, dish detergent and a 3M pad.
Let dry and then apply oil.
20140610_155751.jpg

This is the higher quality, flip-up grate designed to work in unison with the Weber crescent-shaped charcoal baskets.
Looks to be in pretty good shape.
20140610_155816.jpg

A very nice freebie !

Last edited:
I've seen other bent lid handles like this. What's the collective wisdom on how to fix that? Or is it too risky?

I've seen other bent lid handles like this. What's the collective wisdom on how to fix that? Or is it too risky?

Joe F. provided the tip of using a rubber mallet to coerce the handle back into position. I'd first use the heel of my hand to bang the small dent in the lid where the handle weld is. If that doesn't work, the rubber mallet will fix that too, so you can then gently knock the handle back into position. If the weld pops off, which could happen if it was weakened by rust or being dropped, simply drill through and use a small stainless screw, washer and nut to reattach.

Did a quick cleaning this afternoon and added a couple new parts. Gonna pick up an ash catcher in the morning. Took the wood handles off to see if I can clean them up a bit.

Straightened the handle the best I could.

Love it

A couple parts and some cleanup and now you've got a kettle that will cook perfectly. I've got one free kettle and one for $25 bucks. The free one fell out of a pickup at an NFL tailgate party. Home depot carries charcoal and grill grates. I was always able to clean up the rusty parts. Used some strategic whacks with a hammer and 2x4 or 2x2 pieces to tap out small dents and bent handles. If you get really jazzed about how good your free grill looks, take a little extra time to refinish the wood handles with stain and polyurethane.

If the kettle is free it makes the smoke a little bit sweeter and the food a little bit tastier!!!

Back