my first Weber - Performer Deluxe 2015

JonnyB

TVWBB Member
What's up all,

I've got my info and background in the introduction section if you wanna see. Since we're in the kettle section, let's get right to my first Weber purchase :)

1. Weber 22" black Performer Deluxe 2015
  2. Weber sear grate, since model comes with gourmet BBQ grate system. I wish it had closer cross sections though.
  3. Weber Performer grill cover
  4. Weber chimney just in case, figured good to have one on hand even tho it has gas ignition.
  5. Weber grill brush, tho I'll probably be getting the GrillStone cleaning block after it starts getting dirty.
  6. Smokenator 1000 + hover grill. I love true low and slow smoked BBQ and this seems to be a super easy to use and excellently reviewed product.

What you guys think? I'll try and post pics as it arrives and I build, but give me some time as I had back surgery 3 weeks ago lol. Says grill comes tomorrow tho!

Last edited:
You will love it Jonny. Between my Performer, WSM and now the 96 Genesis, I am set for life. Had only the Performer for five years before I got the others and it met my needs well. Use it every Thanksgiving for the turkey and many other things besides. If you only have to get one grill, that is the one.
Hope your back is better soon.

Pics are good but your health is more important - take your time putting that bad boy together and be careful! Congratulations too.

Hey Bob, you're not far from me! I'm in Granada Hills.

That's great to hear then Bob, since I don't really want more than one :) (hence the smokenator for it)

Thanks Brian. It was a "minor" microdiscectomy. I'm doing very well, I'm 'young' though @ 28 so Dr. said I should heal up fine. I'll def take my time building it slowly and correctly. Can't wait for it, deliveries arrive right as I get home from work.

I have seven grills and smokers and the performer is the go to grill 90% of the time. With the gas ignition it's just about as easy as a gasser.

Congratulations! You are set up. With a little practice, you will be laying down some amazing stuff on the dinner table. I have many different types of grills as well (I have a "collecting" problem) and if I could only have one, it would definitely be the Performer. It's a jack of all trades and a master of most.
Many of us use the gas ignition to light the coals in the chimney, works like a charm, and you only have to run the gas for a few minutes or so.

Great news for me :)

Do you ever find yourself still using a chimney or the gas ignition does the job well?

JohnnyB-
Congrats on the performer deluxe. You will love it! As other have said take your time putting it together.. And enjoy..

In Health,
CR

and this is what I was up to earlier :D

iFPFSdP.jpg

xOyBejL.jpg

XsoUF8I.jpg

Is there supposed to be so much of an open gap in the gas pipe for the gas entering the grill? I don't get why it's open at all, seems like gas would waste out from here.
DycgBGe.jpg

GSdvfU9.jpg

I LOVE THE TABLE TOP!!!
gl7PvQh.jpg

pxR0p1q.jpg

r0TSG53.jpg

Ejg0MDs.jpg

Can't wait to fire it up and get my sear grate.

Great news for me :)

Do you ever find yourself still using a chimney or the gas ignition does the job well?

Hello Jonny, when I use my Performer I start the coals in my chimney using the gas assist. I only have to run the gas for a few minutes, then turn it off and wait for the coals. Once the coals are ready I dump them into the baskets or behind a rail, brick, or whatever I am using for that cook.

Way to go jimmy, be sure to fire it up on a no food run, to cook off all the manufactered contaminates.
I prefer using the chiney over the baskets to light the coals..

Get the grill up to 400 and let it cook lid closed for a good 45-60 minutes..

Ok, thanks for the tips!

Still trying to determine if this gap/opening is normal?
Is there supposed to be so much of an open gap in the gas pipe for the gas entering the grill? I don't get why it's open at all, seems like gas would waste out from here.
DycgBGe.jpg

GSdvfU9.jpg

Johnny, yes that gap is normal. I've had a Performer with the gas assist for over 10 years and love it. Over time that tube gets gunged up with grease somewhat. Even the igniter gets gunged up and when that happens it eventually stops throwing spark. Could be a couple years before it happens. What I did on mine is rotate the tube so the igniter is on top vs. bottom. This way I find the igniter doesn't get greased up over time. When cleaning out the tube, also examine the little hole in the yellow brass where the gas comes out. On mine, even that little hole was getting greased up somehow. Carefully cleaned it out with a toothpick.

Hello Jonny, when I use my Performer I start the coals in my chimney using the gas assist. I only have to run the gas for a few minutes, then turn it off and wait for the coals. Once the coals are ready I dump them into the baskets or behind a rail, brick, or whatever I am using for that cook.

I always use then chimney over the gas. With lump, it takes like two minutes to get it going. Then I pour it on the far left side of the kettle. that gives me the option of direct and indirect. If you lay coal on top of the gas tube. It takes awhile to get it going and you will burn through gas pretty quick.

JonnyB;
I use a chimney with my Performer, also. I set the full chimney of unlit on top of the charcoal grate so that the gas flame is centered. I run it exactly 3 minutes, turn the gas off and wait a total of twenty minutes before I dump the lit coals. It works every time and doesn't waste gas.

You have one of the finest grills in the Universe with a Performer. Congratulations on a wise choice.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Congrats on the New Performer. It really is the greatest grill ever built! I use a chimney with the gas assist most of the time. If I'm feeling lazy I will just dump some coals in the trays and set them over the flame. This works but not as well as the chimney. Enjoy. oh, and good luck keeping it to just one Weber grill. They are addicting!

lol Chuck, what'd you get done? I'm feeling so great now, even played basketball and was jumping.

Anyhow, I did my first mod. I put a gasket around the lid, I'll take pics later. bbqgaskets.com FireBlack 1/2 x 1/8

Has anyone drilled holes for their probes, if so can you show pics.

ObFBqyf.jpg

Got my thermometer holes in. The gasket is also installed, guess I shoulda taken a pic of that too.

Also found this old goody.
sRM8DRu.jpg

I also use the chimney starter with our Performer. One little trick I learned from this board was to reverse the bottom grate on the chimney. It not only holds more charcoal should you need it but also brings the charcoal closer to the gas or ignition source. Good Luck!

Back