My first Weber gasser

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
After going through a box store grill about every 2 years I promised myself I was going to save up for a quality grill. I figured a nice Napoleon, Bull, Summit, Wolf, or any other built to last grill. But I'm not patient, and I've been without a gas grill for over five months now. So waiting until I had at least a grand to spend on a grill was bugging me. I don't always want to use charcoal for a quick cook and I BBQ/Grill at least once a week. So me being me, I decided not to hold off, went out and bought a grill. Found this one for $150. The steak I grilled last night was good. :)

IMG_20180723_140549387_zps9wjkmfoa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Edit
I guess I still need figure out just how go link picks.

Last edited:
Looks like a good start to a new to you quality grilling machine.

One hint. That weird end cap in the right rear frame is not supposed to be there. That should be on the left front frame and the lip should be pointing down. That is the pivot for the swing table that seems to be missing from your grill.

I didn't even notice the shape of that cap. The thing that jumped out at me was the lid handle is upsidedown A guy at the store where I bought the grill was scavaging bits and pieces to try and make it more complete. It has the same cap on the front left. As for the swing up table, I have it but it didn't make it on when I was taking pictures. I had to take it that far apart because it had to fit in my small car to come home with me. Got it home, put it mostly back together and tried to get the overall condition of it in a few pictures. It works and fires up with one click. I will clean it up more when the weather isn't so darn hot.

That is a 2000, the propane version of the grill I have. You will love it! It's a great grill, for burgers and steaks and stuff, but also it is an amazing rotisserie machine. Enjoy!

Tim

Off to a great start, you can make that into a great grill with many years of life still in it.
I have a 2000 also that I restored with flip up tables on both sides, bought the grill new in 1999 as a 1000 and converted it to a 2000 last year, love the thing.

Yah, not only is the handle upside down, but it is from a Genesis Silver B grill, not a genesis 1000-5000. But they are basically interchangeable. Or you might even have a Silver B hood and end caps on there.

I have no doubt it's a bit of a Frankenstein. As I mentioned, the guy at the store was scavenging parts to make this one a bit more complete. They had 4 or 5 more out front for sale, and more in the storage room I couldn't see. I'm fairly certain once they get enough peices to make a grill it gets rolled out. They could be one of the reasons it's so hard to get one on CL around here. They may be snatching up all the cheap listings as quickly as they can for the store inventory. Though I am not certain of it.

So to nit pick a little bit, and it's not necessarily bad, it looks to me like the "table" on the bottom shelf (in quotes because it's a shelf, not a table) looks to me like it is Frankened out of 3 side tabletops. On my grill, the bottom shelf is made of two long z bracketed shelves, each with 9 slats. Yours are 3 6 slat tops, which is most likely frankened. In any event, it looks cool to me and nobody else would ever notice that, except maybe for Bruce :)

I did notice that, however, I am not very familiar with any of the 2000-5000 series grills. I have worked on several 1000's and mine is a 1000, but I thought maybe the 2000 and up with the different frame was supposed to have three sections.

You are correct. And the slats on the bottom are the grey plastic and there are 3 of them. Durawood??? The two tabletops are wood. Unfortunately, the flip up table I have is the gray like the peices on the bottom, so it will not match when I put it on. It truly is Frankengrill. My Hope is that I can get several more years of service from it, no matter how it looks. :) I'll soon be on the hunt for the rotisserie to go with it.

Jason, yah, all that is cosmetic and won't affect the performance of the grill at all. We are all Weber nuts here and we tend to focus on the small stuff. Also, we try to help out the newer guys and point out things that they may not otherwise notice.

Good luck and if you have any questions, you know where you will find answers.....usually good ones too. :eek:

You are correct. And the slats on the bottom are the grey plastic and there are 3 of them. Durawood??? The two tabletops are wood. Unfortunately, the flip up table I have is the gray like the peices on the bottom, so it will not match when I put it on. It truly is Frankengrill. My Hope is that I can get several more years of service from it, no matter how it looks. :) I'll soon be on the hunt for the rotisserie to go with it.

You can get a couple more decades out of it, depending on what you choose to do with it. If you want to, you could easily get that gem back to "like new" condition!

Congrats, that's a solid buy at $150 and if it included those stainless grates.

BTW, the catch pan belongs underneath the drip tray, not on top of it.

I'd consider upgrading the flavorizer bars at some point.

You may find that this grill cooks so well that you won't buy another one.

Hey, that is a really great deal. It is the #9890. One very popular roto chicken recipe is this: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken

I just did this chicken a couple days ago with same roto in fact. It came out great and I used an extremely simple recipe and it was better than the roadside recipe and any other chicken I have done.
Basically, it was just a brine on the chicken over night and then slap it on the spit and two hours later, the most tender, juicy chicken I have had in years...seriously. I don't know if it was just the chicken or the method, but it was awesome. I need to do it again to confirm.

But one of the biggest mistakes people make on BBQ chicken is how long to cook it. If you undercook it, you risk Solmonela. If you over cook it, you risk a dry and tough bird. A remote thermometer for the grill internal temp and a quick read meat thermometer are your friends.

Here is how I did my last chicken that turned out so good and was so easy to do:

HOW TO DRY BRINE A CHICKEN

If wet brines aren’t your things, dry brines are just as good, maybe even better. They’re easier, faster, and result in richly flavored meat due to only retaining its own natural juices. Here are the basics to a dry brine.

Step 1: Use 1/2 cup of kosher salt, two tablespoons of baking power, and any herbs or spices you want and mix together in a bowl.

Step 2: Use paper towels to pat dry your chicken.

Step 3: Generously sprinkle the brine mixture over the entire bird, rubbing it into the skin, until the outside of the bird is completely covered. Depending on the size of your bird, you may not need to use all of the mix; too much and it may end up over salted, so don’t cake it on.

Step 4: Loosely cover chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 3 days.

Step 5: Rinse off the brine, pat the chicken dry, and cook. (Make sure the skin is very dry before cooking so that it will get nice and crispy.)

I just put it on the spit and started it spinning at 350 degrees for almost 2 hours. I had a good sized bird, so yours may not take as long. If you wan't, you can add a rub or spices before cooking, but I didn't. Also, make sure you put a drip pan below the bird to catch the drippings while it cooks. Oh, and I added some wood for smoke on my cook. It gives it a bit more flavor.

I gotta try that dry brine trick on a bird. Than the big question will be use the Wolf or the Weber with that rotiss I got from you Bruce? Which BTW I still have not even opened the box LOL

Larry, break it out and do a bird. C'mon Man. This is how mine looked. And seriously, it was the most tender and juicy chicken I have done in years....oven, grill or otherwise.

YHNOtFu.jpg

Time has not been on my side my friend. I have that Summit lying in pieces on my garage floor, and I am actually thinking of putting all the pieces back in it and doing a Chicago Cubs on it "wait until next summer".
I swear I no sooner start a project and another thing crops up requiring my attention and barely get that done and another. Hell I haven't even washed my car since a warm day in February! I need someone to stop the world I want to get off. I thought retirement would be the time I could do everything LOL

Back