My first smoke

Mark J

TVWBB Member
Did some chicken today... used the "Perfect Skin Chicken" recipe found here. I used one chimney full of briquettes and apple wood chunks. Couldn't get the temp past 280* as it was 40* here in Atlanta area today. Should have used more fuel. Chicken turned out very tasty but had the dreaded rubbery skin. Also did some of the baked beans too...

Overall, it was the best BBQ dinner I have done in a long time. Ribs are next!!!

Well done with the first smoke, Mark! Everything looks fantastic. Crispy skin or not, I would eat that chicken up in no time! Keep it up. Can't wait to see the next one. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Mark, I can't recall what temp the recipe calls for, but I usually stuff my 18.5" WSM's ring with either briquets or mesquite lump in order to get above 300 (e.g., 325-350). I was able to do this under sub-20 degree temps the other day. I didn't, however, have any water in the pan; it was simply foiled. I've never been able to get temps north of 275-300 with water in the pan.

Lots of articles here about "dry-panning" or the use of clay saucers (but they also moderate heat within a WSM).

Do you have an 18.5" or 22"?

Mark,

I am in Atlanta as well. Did you do the Minion method or just light the charcoal in chimneys? I did the herb coated standing rib roast a few weeks ago when it was cold (not as cold as it is now!) and got mine up to a little over 400. If you did do the Minion method this time, next time try just lighting 2 full Weber chimneys of charcoal until they are completely lit, dump it into the charcoal ring and then put the food on. That will give you a big burst of heat but a shorter cook time vs Minion method. Also as Monty said above, the water in the pan acts as a temp stabilizer and could keep you from going higher temp. I have gotten where the only cook I use water in the pan for is brisket just because it takes so long. For anything else I just foil the water pan and then leave it empty.

18.5" WSM. Empty water pan, foiled. Lit charcoal in chimney. Used one chimney as this was supposed to be a short cook. Figured I just didn't have enough fuel to push past 280*. All vents wide open, even propped the door open but that didn't seem to help. Think Jason has it right with using 2 full chimneys. Thanks for the advice guys.

We are a chicken fan in this household. I have done chicken successfully on my OTG (Indirect/direct), the Mini-Joe Gold and my 18.5" WSM.

When using the smokers, I find that it is helpful to fill the charcoal ring with lit coals and use a foiled DRY pan. When the chicken is nearly done, I then remove the barrel and crisp up the skin with direct. It is important to watch carefully when crisping as you could easily burn the chicken. This may seem tedious to some, but it is worth it to me to end up with "perfect" chicken.

On the other hand, some just smoke at 350 degrees and are happy with "bite through" skin. YOU be the judge and cook to YOUR preference. I have done it both ways and slightly prefer crisp skin. Either way, you can end up with the most luscious, moist, and tasty chicken possible.

I might make one suggestion - I ALWAYS brine my chicken (parts, halves or whole) before smoking to help insure moist meat.

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back