My First Smoke

IanBeard

Hey folks, got around to my first smoke this weekend. I had some baby backs that went on the grill and I threw some wings on as well. Great afternoon for it cause it was sunny out and my Pats pulled out the win, hahaha.

This is getting the charcoal ready. I used 4 chunks of hickory. Also, not enough charcoal, I needed to add more at about the 4hr mark.

The starter coals in the chimney ready to be added.

Ribs rubbed and ready to go. I used the rub in the BRITU recipe.

Ribs hitting the grill. I'm sure the unit will never be this clean again.

Ribs and wings done and ready to come off the smoker.

Ribs all set to go. I was definitely pleased with the ribs. Great smokey flavor that I couldn't come close to achieving using my oven/bbq method to cook ribs. The might have been a little overdone. The bark on the outside was pretty firm so I'm thinking next time I might give the 3-2-1 method a try but I was pretty happy with my first go.

Great looking ribs. I skimped on the charcoal on my first smoke as well and had to add more. I still add some on longer cooks (my WSM still leaks a lot) but I'm good on ribs. Great job on your first smoke.

Great first cook Ian! Ribs and wings look delicious! Just a little trick I do with my WSM is fill the
charcoal ring all the way up leaving room for the lit. I can normally do a 10 to 12 hour cook
without having to reload any charcoal. Anything that is left is reusable. Once you get your WSM
broke in you will find it will use less charcoal as the gunk builds up and you learn the proper settings
for the vents. Just my 2 cents worth suggestion. ;)

grats. the WSM makes it so easy doesn't it? I almost feel guilty when I cook w/mine since the most I have to do is a slight tap on the vents to keep the temp steady.

Great first cook Ian. I've got 2 milk cartons of sugar maple cut up and ready to go for you. Tried some out on Sunday and it was very good, doesn't seem to need to season if you remove the bark. Stuart if you read this I have some for you too if you want it.

Great first cook Ian. I've got 2 milk cartons of sugar maple cut up and ready to go for you. Tried some out on Sunday and it was very good, doesn't seem to need to season if you remove the bark. Stuart if you read this I have some for you too if you want it.

Sounds great! I'll send you a message and we can figure out when we're both available.

Back