My first pork shoulder tonight. Advice?

Andy Ly

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to do my first pork shoulder and im targeting around noon until 5 or 6pm. I managed to pick up 6lbs of it but it's been sliced into 2 inch slabs. Given its not one whole, what is the best way to smoke this? Temperature-wise and meat arrangement. Upright or flat on the grate?

Lastly, would you recommend adding water to the pan?

Got everything up to temp by noon and loaded up the food. Stable but pretty high in temp. Two bottom dampers are completely closed and one is open 20%. Had to shut the top damper also--40% open. Temperature is stable at around 260F now. From what everyone is saying, first smoke = hard to maintain stable temp until the innards of the smoker has seasoned. So true! I'll pull the meat out at 3:00pm and put it in a aluminum tray as shown in the

Yay for sales!
2HNtPZo.jpg

Trimmed the fat off:
Ron777K.jpg

Gave it a good mustard time:
stOTDIM.jpg

Some A1 Sweet Mesquite rub:
z814ZdJ.jpg

Still coming up to temp:
all

Rocking and rolling now:
2CPrGH2.jpg

nJkQTel.jpg

I got my eye on you--R2D2!
5XeHXIq.jpg

More to come!!!

Never seen it done like that - using smaller cuts. Looks good though. Keep the pictures and information coming. Interesting to see how this turns out.

Im not near my computer but I'll post the rest of the photos sometime tomorrow evening.

The pulled pork came out very nice and tender. But I did a foolish thing: I didn't let the meat rest before shredding it. As a result the evaporation caused it to come out less moist than I prefer. I mixed some bbq sauce to restore the flavor a bit. The cherry and apple wood gave it a nice smokey flavor.

Back