My first Pork Shoulder Blade

George Santos

TVWBB Member
I want to smoke a pork shoulder this weekend. Will be my first one. I do not want to pulled, rather sliced. Since is my first one I like to keep it simple; my questions are:

1-) 190-200 IT is for pulled. I have read you can slice at 145-150 IT; which temp it's the correct one?

2-) The shoulder weights 7.XX pounds. I am not impatience but I like to know as much as I can ahead of time. Should that take about 14 hours to low and slow cook 225-250?

3-) Should I use water (or juice, or both) in the pan or not? The chicken(s) I've made I always use liquid in the pan, beer, water, juice. I am not sure if I should use an empty pan just to catch drippings and make cleaning manageable.

I will use my OTG with Kingsford blue snake, and wet apple chunks for smoke.

Comments, suggestions, all welcome. Nothing beats experience, and learning by doing, and doing again has proven to work.

:cool:

PS : State of the art right now:

Last edited:
1- You want at least 180 for sliced shoulder/butts. 140ish is fine for pork loins but butts need to cook longer to help break down all that internal stuff.
2-14 hrs is a good estimate at 225, maybe 12hrs @ 250?
3- water is great for a heat sink, adding any flavorings to the bowl adds nothing to the cook IMO but if you want to catch drippings and add some flavor for gravy than use a disposable pan set underneath you're roast.
Good luck!

Tim

1- You want at least 180 for sliced shoulder/butts. 140ish is fine for pork loins but butts need to cook longer to help break down all that internal stuff.
2-14 hrs is a good estimate at 225, maybe 12hrs @ 250?
3- water is great for a heat sink, adding any flavorings to the bowl adds nothing to the cook IMO but if you want to catch drippings and add some flavor for gravy than use a disposable pan set underneath you're roast.
Good luck!

Tim

Thank you Tim. I am planning to "shoot" 8 or 9 pm Friday evening, that way I'll be done around noon on Saturday. 180 IT is my target. That's some valuable info!!!

That's gonna be good....I saw some nice Cuban sandwiches in a recent post. You could make some great ones with this.

Well done George!:wsm:
I did a lot of reading here and absorbed all the techniques that all this great guys and gals provide.

Very nice George! I stocked up on those pork shoulders from Winn Dixie myself when i saw them at 1.49/lb! Think they were at 1.29/lb at one point. Can't beat that! They've always come out delicious for me. Yours looks pretty damn delectable!

Very nice George! I stocked up on those pork shoulders from Winn Dixie myself when i saw them at 1.49/lb! Think they were at 1.29/lb at one point. Can't beat that! They've always come out delicious for me. Yours looks pretty damn delectable!

Winn Dixie have those on sale quite often. This one was 1.29/lb.

Back