My First Cook(s) and a Thanks (long post!)

BrianG

I have been reading this board for about 6 months storing away the wealth of information shared amongst all of you ‘Cue experts and finally took the plunge and picked up my WSM 18.5” this past week. Saturday morning I set up to cook 5 racks of St. Louis cuts for the in-laws summer picnic we were heading to later that day. Got up nice and early, rubbed up the ribs, got the charcoal going and was ready to get the ribs on the smoke a bit after 7am. Used a mixture of oak and a piece or two of hickory and was off to the races. I was worried about running hot with the new smoker but actually had some trouble getting it up to temp (would not push much past 200-205 with all vents opened).. I audibled and got some briquettes ready in the chimney and added a few about 2 hours in.

Between the open door and the new briquettes the temp shot up and then worked its way down to in-range. At the halfway point I rotated and hit the ribs with some mop.. 3 racks looked to be well ahead of 2. For the rest of the cook the temp stayed pretty well controlled, I pulled 3 of the racks a little less than 5 hours in, foiled them up and stored them in a cooler. I had to leave the other two on right up until we were getting ready to head out the door a bit over 6 hours in. They stayed piping hot in the foil and were very well received at the picnic. They were probably a bit “too tender” for my personal taste but probably perfect given the ‘lay’ audience that was eating them.

A buddy stopped by to check out the happenings Saturday and insisted I give it another go on Sunday so I decided to have a few people over and picked up an 8lb Pork Butt. Cooked it with one rack of spares I had leftover that I was originally going to freeze and used the foil method on the butt going 4.5 hours on the smoke(was about 170 when I took the temp), about 2.5 in the foil and then took it out and put it back on naked for another 45 mins. Got it up to about 210 degrees internally. Had a bit more trouble keeping temps down on the Sunday cook, was running hot. Pulled the butt, let it rest for an hour, pulled it by hand, added some of my rub and sauce to the mix and served it up with some jersey corn, smoked beans and a jersey tomatoes and cucumber salad my wife made. My criticisms fell on deaf ears and the attendees were more than happy to take home so doggie bags my wife made.

Key learnings.. I definitely need a thermometer for the grate level. I used the lid thermometer and a spare candy thermometer in a cork in the vent that I had lying around and there was a weird discrepancy between the two for most of the cook time (lower on in lid Weber thermometer by 15 degrees). I checked them along with digital meat thermometer I have using hot water and they all came out the same so not sure what the story is.

I did not account for running lower at the grates versus the lid and will need to keep temps a bit more consistent in the future.

Used Wicked Weekend Warrior Saturday and Royal Oak Sunday.. don’t think I started with enough lit on my Saturday smoke for 5 racks.

I know ribs don’t necessarily retain a ton of heat but I feel like they definitely cooked a bit while in foil and on quick ride to in-laws?

Sorry for the novel of a post but was a great first experience, mostly as a result of having read these boards… going to have a pretty big cook coming up on labor day and hope to get one smaller cook on in-between for practice.

prepl.jpg

rub.jpg

readyu.jpg

ribs4hr.jpg
ribsalmostdone.jpg

buttdone.jpg

Thanks Wolgast.. and for the tip on the thermometer.

Sunday was definitely a bit easier than Saturday and I am looking forward to more practice sessions in the future.

Great looking cook--first time or ANY time!

My opinion: the lid thermometer on the 22 is fine. It's more about learning what your smoker does for a given number on the lid. Having the Maverick (or similar) to monitor the internal temperature of large pieces of meat like a butt or a rib roast is good, though.

Nice work Brian. Not to worry. With experience you'll get a better, intuitive feel for your smoker. It'll get better, easier, and more fun each time. Cheers!

Thanks folks.. having read this forum for a bit it all seemed much more manageable, that is for certain.

Dale as an fyi i have an 18.5 and it definitely seemed strange to me that my candy in cork through the vent was at least 15 degrees hotter than my stock weber through the lid, will have to see what the differential is with a probe at the grate between the two.

Gary thanks as well..i see you aren't to far from me in NJ, certainly feel free to clue me in on any spots for wood, meat or charcoal in north west (more east for you) NJ. I got the wicked from hometown in Whippany, my local A&P carries Royal Oak Ultra 100 now and I use a local butcher in Chester for meats that is a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion. I lived in NYC for 10 years before moving out here and actually feel like I could score great cuts of meat at a few spots a bit easier than out here.. but unfortunately never had the outdoor space for a smoker.. so willing to try some other places.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I definitely need a thermometer for the grate level. I used the lid thermometer and a spare candy thermometer in a cork in the vent that I had lying around and there was a weird discrepancy between the two for most of the cook time (lower on in lid Weber thermometer by 15 degrees) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually you don't. Imo, you just need to pick a spot - one spot - and temp there, then get used to it. It doesn't matter what the temps 'really' are, what matters is that you get used to working off whatever the therm says at the one location you choose. Feel free to do what you wish, but know that grate temps can vary from whatever a grate therm says too: too close to cold meat, too close to the edge, and so on, can affect therm readings. Me, I temp at a vent hole in the lid, period. Your choice.

Consistency can be important. Gary is quite correct: it gets intuitive after a short while.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks Kevin that makes sense.. I tried to focus more on the ribs/butt being done/not and less on specific time/temp measures. Making sure I am consistent in where I'm measuring will definitely make it less stressful next go round.

Brian, That's some great looking Q... especially considering that it was your first cook! It'll get easier as you do more over time.

I've done the same thing- compared thermometres i hot water, same reading, and then measured the temp inside the wsm 22" with the same two thermometers. Different readings in the same scale as yours. I do not think it really matters as long as the difference is as small as you have reported. The WSM is not a "hitech"- gadget, just a chamber with water, coals, wood and restricted airflow. Live and learn! And eat your mistakes, usually they still taste good.
icon_smile.gif

Looks like you did right!You mentioned you had some minor temp troubles,i've only cooked 5 times so far with my wsm,using 3/4 pan of water,i noticed your pan was covered in foil using maybe something besides water.I find mine will sit around 240 to 260 lid temp easy for hours, but this last smoke trying to raise temp on smoked whole chickens with all vents open ,water pan still plenty full,did not work well, fast enough.It was good but i like my skin crispier.So next time i cook birds and want crispier skin,i will go with maybe half a pan or less of river stones,as the water replacement,and still be able to add water to the bowl if for some reason i feel the need to lower temps.......yeah,the skin could have been crispier but the birds got picked clean,still doggone good eating!Richard

You did well, Brian. I did ribs for my first cook and sadly, smoked the h, e, double hockey stick out of 'em. Used to toy with the vents constantly trying to maintain an exact temp. I learned two things: 1) temps don't have to be exact - it's done when it's done; and 2) after a few cooks, you can pretty much nail your temps and keep them locked in anyway.

Keep up the good work.

2 great looking cooks and meals
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I never get to hung up on temps I use the lid for the smoker and a maverick for the meat and go by feel more than temp on the meat ! The Maverick is just so I know when to start checking the meat .

But looks to me like you did just fine !

Only thing I se wrong is the WSM looks to new
icon_wink.gif
Gotta get it all greased up .

Welcome to the fray
icon_biggrin.gif

Those are some NICE looking ribs! Looks to me like you've got it pretty well figured out right out of the box!

Just a thought on your first fire that 'stalled' on you. I've had that happen a couple of times. If you 'pack' the charcoal a little bit so there's minimal space between the briqs then the fire will take right off.

Russ

Back