my first brisket

DAManning

OK so I read and reread all the posts I could find and last night I put my first brisket on the smoker. Here's how it went down:

3:00pm - went to wal mart picked out a 12 pound packer that was flexible. The exels at my wal mart were both choice and select, I went choice.

8:00 pm - put coals on smoker using Minion Method and threw on brisket immediately after dumping coals. I have a 22.5 and had about 3/4 full water pan with a tin foil pan on the bottom grate to collect the drippings for my aus jus. I started with all the bottom vents wide open; filling my entire ring with coals. I used a combo of some left over Stubbs and a new bag of Royal Oak I got at Kmart for $4.86

8:10 pm - went to bar for wings

10:30 pm - got home smoker running steady @ 250. I fiddled with the vents until about 11:30 got it to about 225 for the night. Finally went to bed with vents all three vents about 1/4 open

3:00 am - woke up, smoker at 224 (using Maverick), went out to check how many coals were left. Had about half the coals left. Opened up vents full way hoping to raise temp for rest of night (The Royal Oaks charcoal seems really small compared to KBB and Stubbs. It seemed to burn hot and fast)

4:30 am - woke up checked Mav, temp at 210, going down, figured I'd be up at 6...went back to bed

6:00 am - temp 191. Shook coals in WSM...nothing doing. Put about 20 coals in chimney, dumped rest of bag of Royal Oaks in WSM. Pushed all coals to far side of ring. They started to heat up, temp started to rise without what was in chimney, but since I already had 20 coals burning I dumped them in. I shut vents to about 3/8ths open. If I could do this step over I'd probably just light about 10 coals in chimney and shove rest of bag in WSM.

6:40 am - running steady at 235. Gonna shut one vent all the way, try to get 225. I haven't opened dome yet to check on brisket. Plan on eating at either lunch or dinner. Guess I'll check brisket temp at the 12 hr mark, see where she's at.

7:00 am - temp getting hot (245) took off lid to check brisket temp (couldn't resist looking) @ 162.1 and the probe slid in like butter! Put some hose water into the water pan (I know redneck technique) and shut two vents completely, one still open about 3/8ths, I'd post a pic if I knew how.

10:00 am - ok now I know why this royal oak charcoal is only $5, it burns so fast and doesn't hold temp too well. Never again for an overnighter; will save it for steaks on the kettle. Anyways, went to store came back temp at WSM temp at 195, added more coals, and about 10 hot ones. Brisket temp at 171. Got to get this done by about 2 pm! Don't want to foil.

noon - got grill at about 240, brisket bark black, brisket temp 190. Looks like about an hour left

2:20 pm- brisket still at 190 grill @ 225 but dropping, just added more coals. Hopefully done soon! Waiting for temp of 203 to pull it off. Dinners at 6:30 so got 3 hours, until I need to rest it.

3:51 pm - shes hit 203!!!!! wrapped in a couple layers of foil sitting in a cooler in my garage until 6:30 carving! Couldnt pick up off grill felt like it was gonna fall apart. Had to lay a piece of foil on top and roll it over.

Last edited:
just shoving garden hose into the WSM. I should have heated the water a little, took a lot of energy from coals to heat water.

There's nothing like cooking that first brisket! I usually dump in a full 20lb bag of kbb which is probably overkill. Without water that can a LONG time. My last overnight cook I had the smoker going for 24 hours just seeing how long it would run. This is of course in the middle of summer when the smoker is at 140 with me doing nothing. With water you get a lot less cook time but more stable temps. I was a big water in the pan guy before coming to this boards. Now I'm just foiling the pan.

At 171 I'd start thinking about foiling the brisket if you absolutely must eat by 2. Your bark is probably pretty much set. I personally don't like to foil but sometimes getting a stubborn brisket cooked on time dictates it. If you do, just foil with no liquid and that temp will shoot up pretty fast and your meat won't get mushy. You'll want at LEAST an hour's rest.

Can't wait to see pics!

everybody liked the brisket. I found out that cooking it was easier than slicing it. I used and electric knife and the thing tore it up.

Back