My first attempt at BBQ!!! Ribs and Chicken

Bill-B

Okay so got my 22.5 OTS, a rack of st. louis cut ribs and a chicken thigh....I guess I'm ready to go!

Did the ribs with mustard and a basic rub recipe that I tweaked for my love of all things spicy...let them sleep in it and at 7:30 I got up and at 'em.

The chicken I read a blog about doing competition chicken thighs so I wanted to give it a whirl. I pulled the skin off and tried to thin it down the best I could...just coated the chicken in lemon and pepper rub and cleaned it up...wrapped it in the skin.

I think I used to much charcoal cause my kettle went up to 350 and wanted to stay there, but it took me a while and I finally got it down to around 280. Didn't take long to get the hang of it...I used the weber baskets and put the pan in the middle and filled it with apple juice. Put two chunks of hickory on each side.

I don't have pics of the chicken, but it turned out beyond amazing. I glazed it with a touch of General Tso's Sauce and Bone Sucking Sauce and it was perfect. So moist and smokey. My girlfriend despises thigh meat, but had one bite and loved it.

The ribs turned out really good....didn't wrap them, so maybe i'll try that next time. Took about 4.5 hours and I spritzed them occasionally with apple juice and then coated them with sweet baby ray's at the end to glaze. I thought they tasted a little too smokey, so I will work on that next time, but other than that I really liked them.

599705_2345604376362_1658575242_n.jpg

549578_2345666497915_271232902_n.jpg

Try just using just one of the charcoal baskets. I did that with a pork butt a couple weeks ago and my kettle purred at 250 the entire cook!! Just slightly open your bottom vents and start with 25 briquettes in the basket and add 8 every hour and you will have lower temps...of course 280 aint a bad temp for cooking chicken......

Try just using just one of the charcoal baskets. I did that with a pork butt a couple weeks ago and my kettle purred at 250 the entire cook!! Just slightly open your bottom vents and start with 25 briquettes in the basket and add 8 every hour and you will have lower temps...of course 280 aint a bad temp for cooking chicken......

Sweet, thank you very much for the advice! I was wondering if just one would have been better.

I couldn't see the pictures at work when I replied on the char-baskets....those ribs are very nice!!!!

Back