My find

John09

TVWBB Fan
Last week I saw a craigslist ad for a weber smoker. She was new in the box but had some dings. I wound up getting a 2007 for $100. I've touched up a few chipped off spots of enamel with some grill paint. I'd rather new but this will be a huge step up from my ECB

However, the charcoal grate is missing. I'm eager to cook so I'm using a 18" kettles charcoal grate to stand in for today. Its not a great fit but I think i'll let me smoke my bacon. Is the charcoal grate a part that I can get at a home depot type store or do I need to order from weber?

Thanks!

You don't neccessarily need to order from Weber, search Amazon for the correct part number.

A charcoal grate for a 18" kettle is still smaller than a charcoal grate for an 18" WSM. I use the 18" kettle charcoal grate on top of the WSM grate to keep small charcoal pieces in and burning.

Sounds good, thanks.

Also, I shut down my vents at the end of the cook and I've come out 4 hours later to find my coals still red and almost burned out. Seems like I must have a leak somewhere. Should I go on and order new wheels or is this just my first run and I need to build up a few layers of grease to seal it up?

Thanks!

I would just use it and have fun....There is some posts with fixing air leaks with foil. Like a gasket. You can search the forum. good luck

hey John, I'll be honest with you... trash that thing and get a new on... .WAIT, better yet, send that sucker my way,
icon_wink.gif
I'll even pay for shipping and rid you of that no-good-
icon_razz.gif

Really, nice pick-up... for the price, you found GOLD! Many of us should be so lucky.
After playing with it a while, you'll be sure to master it and know EXACTLY how you need to deal with ANY imperfections.
Enjoy your new (used) toy John, and welcome to the asylum!
icon_biggrin.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks! For the price I think I did great. It already beats out struggling with a modded ecb. I've got a charcoal grate in the mail and am probably going to roll up a fatty or two tomorrow to try to build up a nice grease layer and help the seal. I did go on and spend a little time tweaking the door yesterday. It was pretty far off. Hopefully that will give me a little more air flow control.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. Are you aware that the WSM has a 10 year warranty. When I got my smoker, I bought it through Ebay. It was NIB, but had a big dent and chipped paint on the bottom section.

I called Weber customer service and they immediately sent me a replacement part. You should give them a call.

John,
Since you have some dings, check to be sure the lid, bowl, and center section are not out of round. Use a tape measurer and check the diameters of all three pieces in multiple locations. If all measurements are equal, it's OK. If not, give the offending part a big old bear hug and squeeze her back into round. This might help with the coals not going out.

Thanks guys, I flipped the middle section over yesterday to measure it and it was really visibly oval. I got that rounded back out and then adjusted the bowl a little too. Seemed to control temps much better. It was a great day to sit out and cook a couple fatties.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Back