My Favorite Christmas Gift

Thats pretty good! I got a 4 qt. Breville saucier! I pressed that into service for the Mornay sauce for the scalloped potatoes, the kids were happy that it got used right away! It was nice to have the nice rounded bottom for whisking and not have cheese sauce sloshing out all over the stove! I’m seeing that getting a lot of use in the future!

I got a Lou Malnatis pizza gift certificate. Wish that I could make one as good!
I have to weigh in. IDK about the original location on Lincoln Ave in Chicago but I have to say (though I hate to) that I think they're slipping on the more "remote" locations. We have a carry out location here in Rockford and honestly while I did get it quite a lot when it first came I noticed the flavor and quality of the pizzas and quality of ingredients begin to slip badly. To the point I honestly don't enjoy getting them anymore. I don't think they can keep the QC up far away from Chicago. Even the one by my dad's house in Buffalo Grove is not "up to expectation" anymore. If it wasn't like a "day trip" due to being so far I would like to hit the original spot just to see if it's system wide.
I noticed the same with Portillo's. Rarely bother with it anymore

I have to weigh in. IDK about the original location on Lincoln Ave in Chicago but I have to say (though I hate to) that I think they're slipping on the more "remote" locations. We have a carry out location here in Rockford and honestly while I did get it quite a lot when it first came I noticed the flavor and quality of the pizzas and quality of ingredients begin to slip badly. To the point I honestly don't enjoy getting them anymore. I don't think they can keep the QC up far away from Chicago. Even the one by my dad's house in Buffalo Grove is not "up to expectation" anymore. If it wasn't like a "day trip" due to being so far I would like to hit the original spot just to see if it's system wide.
I noticed the same with Portillo's. Rarely bother with it anymore
Speaking of Portillo's, my wife and I ate at the one in Schaumburg at lunch today. There is a
place that no longer lives up to its good name. Give me Gene and Judes any day!

I used to go to Maxwell St back in the day. When my uncle emigrated from Italy in 58 for some reason he was fascinated with it and would drag me with him

For Italian Beefs in Chicago you have to go to Al's on Taylor street. Pizza I was always a Gino's East guy.
+1 on Al's never was big on Gino's because of the cornmeal crust. Nice thing about Chicago is all the really nice, hole in the wall "stands" with tamales, polish, dogs, Italian Beef, Gyros and so on. Each with their own little "twist". When wife and I lived in Albany Park we lived right next to a place called "The Pit". They did everything over charcoal. Their dogs, polish, Italian sausage and so on each with their own "charcoal" Chicago "twist". But I used to LOVE finding little stands and sampling stuff. Got a lot of indigestion but got a lot of great meals too

Now the thread is about pizza. I only crave one IMO"S, and I can't get one here in Florida. :(
Dang Lew, I didn't know you'd spent enough time around St. Louis to develop a taste for Imo's pizza! They're still here and going strong with no signs of slowing down. We order it at least once a month. I usually order a regular old sausage pizza and salad with their house dressing. I also like their veggie and delux.

Speaking of Portillo's, my wife and I ate at the one in Schaumburg at lunch today. There is a
Gene and Jude's is the best! As far as Portillo's, they got bought out some years ago and I wouldn't be shocked at a drop in quality.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of Buona Beef? I'm "new" to trying Chicago Beef sandwiches but I do like Buona's better than Portillo's. To me, the bread is way better. Of course Buona isn't "classic" but I thought it was good. I will definitely try some of the more classic beef joints next year. Are there any places around Naperville that are worth trying?

It's "ok" not up to say Al's or some of the other little "stands" I used to frequent but ok. You can buy it frozen at Costco

Their burgers are still one of the best fast food burgers I’ve found. A little charred around the edge and the vegetables are fresh and not wilted from steaming in a box under a light. Everything else there is -meh.

For Pizza, Riverside in Batavia or St. Charles or Marino’s in Elk Grove Village. 👍

As for the original topic, my wife got me this shelf for my kettle.

0ZTMYqq.jpg

😎

Dang Lew, I didn't know you'd spent enough time around St. Louis to develop a taste for Imo's pizza! They're still here and going strong with no signs of slowing down. We order it at least once a month. I usually order a regular old sausage pizza and salad with their house dressing. I also like their veggie and delux.
I grew up in Mehlville. We moved there in 1948. I came home on leave every year through 29 years in the Navy and then moved back to Arnold in 96. Moved down here in 02. We had an Imo's restaurant in Arnold. All my living siblings still live in the area.

My favorite Christmas gift was the flannel Horsey Pyjamas my wife got me. I believe the company is Cowboy Pyjama Company put of Texas. They are awesome!

Back