My experience with pellets

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
My experience is that you get a whole bunch of smoke then nothing. Am I doing something wrong? What is your experience?

You need to make a pouch out of foil. Then put one or two small holes in it and throw it on the coals. Without the pouch the pellets get too much oxygen and burn up very quickly.

Bill

I did two b/c chickens today and used some orange pellets. Put them in foil, next to the burner in my gasser. Man, they smoked like crazy for the first fifteen minutes, then there was nothing. I'm guessing my flame might have been too hot for them.

They are in a pouch with one small hole. I think I have to tighten up my pouch; make it smaller so there isn't much air.

I did a brined turkey today. Used two apple samples in foil. Added one at the begging and another after an hour and a quarter. Both smoked for fifteen minutes or so and then nothing.

It was good, but I would have liked for the turkey to have had more of a smoke flavor. But I think I like more smoke flavor then most people.

Herb

Maybe try wrapping them in a couple of layers of foil instead of one - unless you already do that. That's I think I'll do next along with making sure the foil is very tight.

I used 2 packs of oranage pellets yesterday in a smoker box in a local competition. After smoking my chicken for almost 2 hours and turning it in, I took the smoker box out of the WSM and opened it up and saw the pellets that looked intact but burned. As I was cooking ribs in the smoker I watched the pellets continue to smoke in the box (lightly) with the top off with just the residual heat from the box for almost 30 minutes. Based on this observation, I think they still smoke but it may be hard to distinguish it from the charcoal smoke.

I have used pellets quite a few times, and have tried a couple of different methods in getting them to smoke. I too, find they seem to lose their smoking ability pretty quickly. I have never gotten a real strong smoke off them, in the flavor department. I still use them once in awhile, mainly for steaks, and quick grill items. As far as a long slow cook, I'm staying with wood chunks. I really like a deep smoke flavor in my BBQ!
icon_wink.gif

Low and slow, the way to go!! Deb L.

The problem I have is that I don't have access to many different types of wood. I'm always curious about differnent flavors.

Colin, do you a fireplace shop around you? There is a fireplace shop by me that just sells different types of wood to burn, not even necessarily for cooking.

I couldn't believe it when I walked in, but they have Pecan, Maple, Apple, Black Walnut, Hickory, Oak, Peach and a couple others I don't remember now. A 25lb. bag is $20 or so. The only problem is they tend to have a lot of bark on them.

On another note, has anyone ever tried using Birch to smoke with? I've got a bunch of dead birch trees so I figured I'd give it a shot. Also, does anyone think it would be a problem to cut the wood up using a chain saw? I just wonder if the chain oil would be a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deb Lampson:
I have used pellets quite a few times, and have tried a couple of different methods in getting them to smoke. I too, find they seem to lose their smoking ability pretty quickly. I have never gotten a real strong smoke off them, in the flavor department. I still use them once in awhile, mainly for steaks, and quick grill items. As far as a long slow cook, I'm staying with wood chunks. I really like a deep smoke flavor in my BBQ!
icon_wink.gif

Low and slow, the way to go!! Deb L. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used Jack Daniels charcoal pellets in my gas grill a few times this spring while doing some ribeye roasts. I've found that the smoke flavour has been very evident, almost overpowering at times. I think that even though they stop smoking after about 1/2 an hour, they still give off a lot of flavour. I did 3 small pork loins this past weekend and I cut the amount of pellets in my smoke pouch to about 1/3 of a cup and had great results. Go figure, reading the instructions actually helped....
icon_wink.gif

Back