My Brined Pork Butt Experiment

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
I decided to try something different this time with this 6 pound Pork Butt. I brined it in a mixture
of kosher salt, brown sugar, pepper, onion and garlic powders for 48 hours. Here it is rinsed off,
coated with a little vegetable oil and seasoned with Three Little Pigs BBQ rub.

Put onto the WSM, using Stubbs charcoal and a few chunks of peach wood.

Four hours later it was at an internal temp of 160, so I wrapped it with a little bit of apple juice.

Put back onto the WSM.

Internal temp at 203 and it is probe tender after 6 hours, 30 minutes. Wrapped in towels and
placed in my ice chest to rest.

Some of it pulled for dinner.

Plated on an onion bun with potato salad and coleslaw.

I was looking to add some different flavors to the butt and I definitely did that. The brine to me
brought out more pork flavor than my previous butt cooks. The only thing I was worried about
was the pork being mushy and this was not the case. I didn’t get too much of a smoke ring but
I think that was due to using only peach wood. I normally mix it up with hickory, apple or cherry.
Any way it was very moist, tender and delicious.

Thanks for looking!

One beautiful cook Mike.
As always, BTW.

6 lb seems to be the weight of the day;)

In any case, beautiful pictures of the perfect cook.

Your frequency is admirable and I apologize for that, do not manage to respond to everything.

Your patron from Europe.

Looks really nice. The lack of a good smoke ring was probably a result of the salt in the brine?

Nice lookin pork! I'm thinking the peach wood, as good as it is, did not give you that killer smoke ring, your pork. Still, it looks very tasty to me!!!!

I believe somebody should make a scientific attempt to cook a brined one alongside a regular one and try to scientifically compare them... Perhaps I will take this burden upon myself sometime this summer.

I believe somebody should make a scientific attempt to cook a brined one alongside a regular one and try to scientifically compare them... Perhaps I will take this burden upon myself sometime this summer.

I may try that experiment next weekend. I like your idea.

Just Wow! Mike!
Wish my experiments would turn into masterpieces!

(I need to take some plated photo lessons from you!)

Mister Coffman, NEXT time you wrap up a hunka meat like this....

DSC_0162-2_zpsd12d3de9.jpg

...send it to MY HOUSE!
Looks OUTSTANDING!!!

Back