my all Thermocouple HM min-build

DavidNP

TVWBB Member
Hey....Im now attempting an 'All Thermocouple prototype' build of HM using all ali/bay hardware.... it's a headless (no lcd/key) version I'm now trying out....idea is to have a fan/HM hardware all-in-one mini-build.....

components I'm using/testing:

arduino mini pro (8mhz 3.3v clone)
NodeMCU (wifi/esp8266)
using 2x Max6675 thermocouple boards.... I have a few of these...
5v fan

all powered via 5v cell phone type power adapter.....

I've already modified the HM code and it works well with the MAX6675 boards....it supports 4 TCs but I'm only using 2 for now as I'm trying to shrink this down.

...I'll let you know how it works in the real-world. This is my first try with TCs.....I haven't worked with TC's before, any items I should be looking out for?

Current Photos of the build

Last edited:
I have to say, you're taking this project and really doing some amazing work trying it on different setups. I look forward to seeing what you come up with as far as an all in 1 unit goes.

hey, I've finally got all the parts (geez....shipping from china is getting slower lately, 5-8 weeks)....on breadboard everything is working. Now trying to figure out how to squeeze all these components in as little space as possible.

hey, I've finally got all the parts (geez....shipping from china is getting slower lately, 5-8 weeks)....on breadboard everything is working. Now trying to figure out how to squeeze all these components in as little space as possible.

No joke. I'm still waiting on parts from when you first started talking about this project...

Also, for anyone that wants to get in on this project: stay away from NodeMCU boards with the CH340G chip. WCH doesn't stand behind what they produce and, as a result, the drivers are complete crap. Instead, order boards with the CP2102 chip to keep yourself sane.

No joke. I'm still waiting on parts from when you first started talking about this project...

Also, for anyone that wants to get in on this project: stay away from NodeMCU boards with the CH340G chip. WCH doesn't stand behind what they produce and, as a result, the drivers are complete crap. Instead, order boards with the CP2102 chip to keep yourself sane.

Thanks for the advice, Rob. This is why we post. Great call.

hey, this project is back from the dead....like its Halloween :)

colder weather means some more time to work on unfinished ideas....I made a prototype board, would of liked it to be smaller but I'd have to learn how to make 'real-boards' first....so I used what I had on hand to get an idea. I printed an Adapt-a-Damper, and need to make a printable bottom case, but it does fit within the thickness of the damper so it won't look too 'bulky'...headers are for attaching fan/servo/lid detect/led?

Used a 5v fan, and servo and used a WeMos mini esp and 2 thermocouples(max6675), all powered by microusb charger/supply....everything seems to be working on the bench with no issues....

here some photos of the build

oh, btw...i needed a new soldering tip, but was too lazy to go out and get one...so I had no 'tip', used the side of the tip to solder....this is how NOT to solder a test board, but it checked out ok :)

Incredible, David! That looks awesome!

Shouldn't be too hard to design a new "box" to slide on the AD to hold the components.

Yeah pretty cool! I like how compact it is even considering it is made from off the shelf prebuilt units. Normally you see a project with this much going on and it is a table full of protoboards and wires all over the place so it is refreshing to see something so well designed.

Keep us posted!

So i've been 'learning' to do some CAD with fusion 360....that's a great app and free for hobbyists!

With the help of WBegg's working files I was able to get a pretty good print on my FIRST PRINT....you know its a good day when your draft 3d print fits way better than you could of thought :)

check out the album again to see it 'together'. I'll have to print a AD new base as the backing was too small for my bigger bottom case....

Last edited:
DavidNP, this is AWESOME! I had started a tread here on TVWBB and in some way was asking about having a HM with all TC probes. Your project looks to fit my bill in more than one way as I am also looking ot have a HM that is headless, no screen/display and no buttons. I'll email you for more details on your project.

If you want headless HM why not just build V4.3 without the display board? Then just add 4 external TC amps of some sort and you have exactly what you want.

If you want headless HM why not just build V4.3 without the display board? Then just add 4 external TC amps of some sort and you have exactly what you want.

I think the idea of the project is miniaturization, and the ability to keep costs WAY down. This can be built for "peanuts" and it's small enough to fit in a fan/damper for a self contained unit.

JohnW was looking for a HM with 4 TC's, and said his grill is too large for the TC leads to reach the HM (or damper) so he wanted the TC amps on an external board. This setup only has two TC amps, and they are built into the damper, so it doesn't seem to suite his needs very well. I guess he could dissect the design, move the TC amps outside of the damper and add two more to make it suite his needs, just depends on the route he prefers, how deep he wants to get technically and how standard he wants his build to be.

Back