My 2nd Cook

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
After a successful wings cook on the WSM 18, I tried ribs and tomatoes yesterday.

I would have to say, it was another success! See pics below.

Ribs were delicious. My wife said, "Prob best in the world!..." Which is big, as she is not a ribs fan normally. I thought they were excellent - top 10 I have eaten - and I have eaten ribs at a lot of different places / sources.

The tomatoes (fresh from the garden) were also a pretty good success. Smoked them after the ribs, while the ribs were finishing in the oven, at 250 for 40 minutes. They ended up almost like juice, very mushy, but had a nice smokey flavor (added a few small pieces of apple wood when I put them on). Sauteed some onion, garlic and tomato paste, then blended the smoked tomatoes with a coupe pieces of pickled fire roasted red peppers, and put it all together for some spaghetti sauce to freeze.

As for the ribs, there were St. Louis cut side ribs and I followed Harry Soo's competition ribs method with my own seasoning and sauces. Here is what I did:

1) Trimmed some of the fat off the ribs and removed the membrane.
2) Seasoned them with a sea salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, smoked applewood spice mix after applying a bit of Worchestshire as a binder.
3) Got the WSM ready with 1 full chimney starter of Kingsford briquettes and then half lighted chimney of the same (minion style)...with 1 large and 2 small chunks of apple wood under the coals.
4) Smoked the ribs for 2hr 45 mins between 270 and 280, spraying with half-half Apple Cider Vinegar and Water at 1hr15, and 2hr.
5) Wrapped the ribs in foil, added more of the same seasoning, brown sugar, butter, more ACV/water and some Diana Honey Garlic sauce (it is more of a honey bbq) and placed in oven at 275 for about 45 mins.
6) Let them rest for about 20 mins after removing from oven with foil slightly open.

Only things I wasn't happy about was the extra meat on the end (where there is no bone) was a bit hard and burned. Other than that the flavor was outstanding and the texture was excellent (not fall of the bone, but a nice soft but firm bite). I should have done 2 racks and utilized the bottom rack. I used the water bowl with water as is and the clean up was ok.

Anything anyone recommend I do differently next time? I like experimenting within reason...

Next up will be the pork belly burnt ends which I have delayed until the weekend. Will be grilling some steaks and pork chops and sausages in the meantime to give the WSM a break and the Weber Summit 670 Propane some love!

wsm-raw-st-lous-ribs.jpg

wsm-setup-thermopro.jpg

wsm-st-louis-ribs-bark.jpg

ribs-cut.jpg

ribs-ready.jpg

ribs-smoke-ring.jpg

cutting-tomatoes.jpg

tomatoes-oiled-seasoned.jpg

tomatoes-ready-for-wsm.jpg

Did you salt the tomatoes and let them drain for 30 minutes or so before cooking? It's a good way to get rid of some of the moisture.

Back