my 14.5 " wsm arrived today!

LinBerl

TVWBB Member
It's missing one of the dark washers that goes on the rack bracket. Do I need to bother going to the hardware store or is one bolt fine without it?

Also, I put my river country thermometer through the slot on the grommet; the hole was too small. I tightened it down with the nut and washer on the inside (not too tight) so I don't think it will leak smoke. It's positioned halfway between the lower and upper grates. Is that an okay position? I'm not big on drilling holes...

Off to cook chicken legs/thighs tonight for the first cook. They won't mind if the temp is a little high (having a heat wave here in the Bay Area which doesn't help).

It is sooo cute on my patio paver stand with big brother 22" kettle nearby. Have a nice side table, too.

I'm so excited!!!!

LinBerl;
Since I built my mini and bought my 14.5 WSM, I've hardly looked at my 18.5 WSM (which is kind of a shame as there is not a THING wrong with the 18.5"). The little ones are so convenient to do my "regular" smokes that I seem to just reach for them...

Forecast:
You'll LOVE the 14.5" WSM...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I already love it, Robert! I did my first smoke today, chicken quarters. Threw on some potatoes at the end. While I know it wasn't perfect (I probably could have waited a bit longer with charcoal in the chimney as it took the wsm quite a while to get going), it cooked between 250-300 consistently for the two hours with no water in the pan. I actually saw blue smoke from the wood I added, and you could definitely taste the applewood. Other things I'll do differently next time: marinate longer, finish off the skin right above the charcoal for a few minutes. But it was really pretty easy and I didn't peek. There wasn't a lot of temp difference between the top thermometer and my river country thermometer between the grates - only about 10 degrees. I used my thermopop to check final temp on the chicken but I've grilled enough chicken that I knew it was done. I'm really impressed with the fit; the only smoke that escaped was around the lid, the door fit was perfect. A few more chicken cooks and I will feel comfortable enough to try ribs and pork.....nom nom nom. I think your forecast is right on:D

Back