Move up from the 18.5" to the 22.5"?

John_H

TVWBB Member
I enjoy smoking ribs on the WSM on 18.5" but it just seems that there isn't enough room. many times a slab of ribs is touching the sides when trying to smoke the ribs. I've done the rib rack but still the length is an issue. I don't really want to cut my slabs in 1/2 and I don't want to roll my ribs either. Does the 22.5" fix this problem? anyone have both smokers? thoughts?

I can put 3 racks flat on the top rack no problem on the 22. A lot of guys have some clever methods for getting them on the 18. I don't have the 18.

This is the primary reason I recommend the 22" right out of the gate. 3 racks flat or 5 using the rib rack, with no cutting involved, on each rack. If you can do it, you wont be dissapointed.

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I actually have my 18" on Craigslist right now. I'm also considering the Kamado Joe 24". I like my wsm. But, I'm interested in the added stability of a ceramic smoker. In the end, I expect I will get the wsm though.

Me, I'm a fan of the smaller smokers. Nothing wrong with the big boy, tho'. I use two rib racks on my 14.5 and my 18.5. It is so easy to cut the racks of ribs in halve. That way, my ribs are perfectly cooked from end to end. No over cooked ends and the halves are actually easier to handle than the full length ribs.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess???

One thing we need to keep in mind - the cost of a Weber smoker, whether small, medium, or large is modest enough that that should NOT influence your choice. For that (and their fine quality in general) I salute Weber!~

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Have you thought about hanging your ribs? One thing that I have noticed is that I see more 22's for sale than 18's on CL.
They use a lot more fuel. Just a thought.

I sold my 22 and went back to the 18...mostly due to hurting my back lifting the heavier 22 into my pickup....both are great though.

I bought the 18 and have been very happy with my decision. I am not a big rib cooker but when I do cook ribs I typically cut them in half. I don't have a problem cutting them in half but if you really want to cook them whole maybe consider hanging them.

The 22 will definitely fix your problem. Ribs are the main reason I bought my 22 last year. I used carriage bolts to add a 3rd cooking grate. I can lay 3 racks flat on each grate. No rib racks, rolling, cutting, etc. :) And my 18 isn't collecting dust. It still sees a lot of action, just no ribs.

I never minded rolling when it was just for family and friends but I did get a 22 to lay my ribs flat when doing comps. So yes, if you don't want to roll or cut get the 22. I have both now

I have both the 18.5"wsm and the 22.5"wsm. the 22.5"wsm is definitely better for cooking whole slabs of ribs. I'm with you, I don't really like to cut them in half. I like using the 18.5"wsm for smaller cooks (1-2 butts, hams, smaller turkeys etc.)

I truly don't know why, but I don't want to cut my ribs in half before cooking them either.
Its silly because that's the first thing you do once they are cooked.
Ribs and full packer briskets pushed me towards the 22"
I don't know if the 22" is a fuel hog or not (it is my only reference point)...I try to stock up when charcoal is on sale and if i ever do worry about the cost I just remember that one rib plate at the BBQ joint is about $12 bucks and its not even that good.

Back