Mold in Smoker

Brad Morrell

TVWBB Member
First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong place for this questions...but I looked at the descriptions, and didn't really see a place where I thought this really fit.

And since this is the most frequented section of the boards, I thought I would have the best chance of getting an answere here.

So here goes...

I have been given a Weber WSM that I was going to give to my son to learn on.

The only problem is that there is mold on the inside of the cooker, on the door, and on the grates.

Now, it's not a forest growing in there, but it's a considerable amount.

Should I just chunk it, or is there a sanitary way to clean this thing to ensure that no illnesses are a result of cooking in it?

Thanks!

Just run a chimney full of charcoal in it with the vents wide open-- it'll burn off. Happens a lot if one is not fastidious about cleaning WSM post-cook and leaves water in the pan. Hasn't killed me yet.

I'm no scientist, but I would think soap and water would be just fine. I don't see how a little bleach would hurt either. I would think it would only be necessary on the door (or you could just buy a new door).

The wsm is porcelain, therefore, once it's clean, I would trust cooking with it. After cleaning and a good rinse, I think I'd feel more comfortable if I loaded it with charcoal and did a couple hour burn as hot as I could get.

That has happened to me once or twice a year. I agree with Doug about it coming from a dirty water pan being left in it. I had it from top to bottom back in June. I used Dawn Power Dissolver to clean mine. I took 2 spraying's of it but i got it totally clean like new. Since then i remove the pan right after taking off the meat and the problem has not returned. If you have a power washer they work very well also to remove the build up. Also i think the WSM being covered up and the heat and humidity has something to do with it also. Cheese don't kill you so no worries.
icon_biggrin.gif

Just piling on to Bryan and Doug's comments. Happens to me every now or then. I just wipe it off with a couple of dry paper towels.

I'm pretty good about cleaning the water pan, but the other thing that may cause it is if I don't close the bottom vents and water splashes in during a rain.

dont worry about it. There have been times where I lift the lid, jump back and quiver in horror at whats growing inside mine. Best way to REALLY REALLY clean it out, along with alot of the built up gunk is to light a ring and get her ripping hot. Assemble it and open all the vents. Once cooled take a stiff brush and scrub her down.

It's happened to me a few times when I was too lazy to clean the smoker after a cook and didn't use it again for a month or so. A scotch brite pad with some dish soap followed by a blast with the garden hose takes care of it in a few minutes.

It amazes me that people are so paranoid about molds and bacteria these days that they would consider getting rid of the cooker because of it. Mold and bacteria are EVERYWHERE, fortunately we have something called an immune system that protects us from them.

Bleach makes mold disappear. Like gone.
Put bleach in a garden sprayer and spray the whole thing soak it down good and wait 10 minutes.

Presto gone.

Then hose the thing good with some dish wash detergent like Dove to cut the grease and remove the bleach smell.
Let ur dry in the sun and fire it up for a couple hours empty .

I think you will have a perfectly good WSM.

I don't think you should take a chance with your family's health.

If you send me your WSM along with a $49.95 disposal fee, my newly formed Smoker Cleaning And Mold Removal company, (S.C.A.M.R.) make sure this is properly taken care of.
icon_smile.gif

Back