Mix & Match different brands of charcoal

RichieNJ

TVWBB Fan
Hi all

I experimented with Stubbs charcoal and do not like it. Kingsford is better in my opinion. The Stubbs didn't burn as hot or as long. Anyway, I still have some of the Stubbs left and would like to use it up. Can I mix Kingsford with the remaining Stubbs?

Appreciate it.

Richie

sure, nothing wrong with mixing or just use it to start your chimney with, heck I've mixed several kinds before just to get rid of the little bit left in the bags.

I was thinking of mixing, when I used Cowboy it was hard to light so I thought that I would use KBB in the chimney to start it and then lump or something else in the WSM, or even a mixture of briquettes and lump

so many decisions!

I've read where quite a few people will put in a layer of briquettes then put the lump in over it and use briquettes to start it.

I've read where quite a few people will put in a layer of briquettes then put the lump in over it and use briquettes to start it.

That's how I prefer to smoke butts and briskets. I often use cheap Royal Oak or Cowboy lump, so the briquettes add some longevity to the cook. There's no need for an additional charcoal grate since briquettes are on the bottom, and since there's very little briquette smoke, I get more flavor from the hickory chunks.

Mix away, before I started buying KBB in bulk at the annual sales I used to just buy whatever was on sale and mixed bags often with no bad results.

This weekend I am going to do a test cook on my 14.5 and mini.

I am doing KBB on one and RO lump on the other, no wood chunks as I want to see if anyone including myself can taste the difference between lump and KBB with chicken

I am doing KBB on one and RO lump on the other, no wood chunks as I want to see if anyone including myself can taste the difference between lump and KBB with chicken

Jeff, I'm interested in seeing what you think, but I don't think you'll notice much difference if you cook hot and fast. Bet you'll notice a difference with a Minion start, though....and maybe more also if the the drippings don't end up smoking.

It'll be interesting to see your results. : + )

Back