Minor Ham problem..will this work??

Dave S

TVWBB Super Fan
Back in Dec 2014 I posted a thread "just a ham" that I did with my own injection and Chris Lilly glaze. I have done 4 or 5 since then and it is always a big hit. This year I was asked if I would do one for an Easter dinner party, they would supply the ham, of course I said yes. Well this morning the ham was dropped off, and low and behold they bought a double glazed spiral cut ham.

My minor problem/question, If I take some butcher twine and tie this baby tight will it be enough to hold the injection?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions

Dave

Ooof, I can't imagine twine would be able to keep a spiral cut from leaking your injection straight into your pan.

I've got only bad suggestions,
- Oven bag?
- Rotisserie style basting/bath?
- Return for the correct ham?

Ooof, I can't imagine twine would be able to keep a spiral cut from leaking your injection straight into your pan.

I've got only bad suggestions,
- Oven bag?
- Rotisserie style basting/bath?
- Return for the correct ham?

What he said
arrow%20up_zpsizhutnb8.jpg

But using an oven bag, you'll only boil it in it's own juices. Best bet is to try to return it for the proper ham for smokin'.

Failing that, I would tie it as suggested with no injection. You'll only want to do a low smoke for a short period of time (maybe an hour) just to get the whole thing warmed up. Not a real smoke but better than nothing. I think if you don't tie it first, it'll just dry out.

Last edited:
I agree with the "return" concept but, many places,will not accept returns. I feel the frustration, I have been in that position before.
I'm spinning a ham Sunday and wrapping a pineapple with bacon right next to it. Should be fun!

UPDATE!!!
First of all thanks guys for the above comments/suggestions. I did try and get another ham but the guy that bought it said it was "special"!!!!?? It was not any store brand but it was a good looking hunk of meat(don't know where it came from). So yes I did tie it, I tied it up to the point I could throw it across the kitchen. I would say I lost about 30% of the injection. I did it in a shallow aluminum pan and did baste it 2 or3 times during the smoke. The results were much better than I expected, very flavorful, very moist, and great smoke.
What I did notice is I had to delay dinner as it took as long to cook just like a whole ham, and the smoke seemed to reach deeper into the meat (interesting)
I would have to say it was a very successful cook. One of my experiments that actually turned out well.

All's well that ends well. And isn't that all that really matters? Good on you :) Thanks also for coming back with the update.

Back