Mini-WSM Caveman style!

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I'm new here, but have been using my mini-WSM's for the past 4 years. I have two SMJ silvers, 3 smoke pots and one smoke pot modified into a pizza oven. One of my favorite meals to smoke and grill is a good T-bone with a reverse sear. Nothing fancy, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Smoke at a low temp for an hour or so with Cherry and pecan. Remove the pot stoke the coals and sear right on the coals to a perfect medium rare!

14290087254_aa2ea6d1f5_b.jpg

14087380079_6b91bffb33_b.jpg

14250894176_d6e4c2a139_b.jpg

14273582664_6aa1ff1b9b_b.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

Way cool! I have been wanting to do the caveman thing since watching Alton Brown do it for fajitas. I assumed you had to do it on lump charcoal though. Good to see you can do it on briquettes as well, as that is what I usually use.

Way cool! I have been wanting to do the caveman thing since watching Alton Brown do it for fajitas. I assumed you had to do it on lump charcoal though. Good to see you can do it on briquettes as well, as that is what I usually use.

Just blow the ash off really good. I normally burn lump unless I'm doing a long cook or the weather is super cold (I smoke & BBQ year round). This time I had some left over in the basket from a previous smoke so I just went with it!

I have tried cave man style and don't really care for it. However, there is no denying it's a legitimate method. On the other hand, the idea of smokin' your steak intriques me. I just may have to try that (then I will just lay a grate over the Smoky Joe fire box (as it was originally designed) and sear it.

If you have power, you can use a hair dryer to blow the ashes off the charcoal and it also will stoke up the fire (adds much more oxygen) when you want to "cave man".

The tip is free:rolleyes:..

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
I have tried cave man style and don't really care for it. However, there is no denying it's a legitimate method. On the other hand, the idea of smokin' your steak intriques me. I just may have to try that (they I will just lay a grate over the Smoky Joe fire box (as it was originally designed) and sear it.

If you have power, you can use a hair dryer to blow the ashes off the charcoal and it also will stoke up the fire (adds much more oxygen) when you want to "cave man".

The tip is free:rolleyes:..

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

The caveman sear is more of a novelty and I will admit that I only do it for the shock and awe factor. Normally it's the low and slow smoke then onto the grate above the coals. Which impresses the friends just as much when they take that first smokey steak bite!

For blowing off the ashes I prefer to use the weed burner!

Last edited:
I like the smoked steak idea, not many of us do that. But the grates for the finish make me smile more than
the caveman.

I like the smoked steak idea, not many of us do that. But the grates for the finish make me smile more than
the caveman.

Yeah the smoke adds a real nice flavor! I don't caveman very often. Usually only when I want to mess with friends who bring their own steaks over and ask me to grill them. Ya oughta see their eyes when you throw their $15 t-bone into the fire!

Back