Mini Persian sour pickles in about two weeks

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Started these tonight. Usual recipe of 3.3% salinity, crushed garlic cloves, a few crumpled bay leaves, black peppercorns and some pickling spices. Started with 1000 ml of water and went from there. Bagged the extra water into a quart freezer ziplock bag to weigh down the cukes.

1703303195629.jpeg

1703303210384.jpeg

1703303228885.jpeg

Be back in a few days with progress pics. It’s only 68° or 69° in the house. These will take a while to ferment.

These are ready. Six and one half days of pickling. Almost full sour. They’ll continue to ferment when in the fridge. These Costco baby Persian cukes are super easy to work with and because of their size, they take on the brine faster than regular Kirby cucumbers which are the traditional ones used.

Wound up with two containers worth.

1703973612130.jpeg

1703973627983.jpeg

1703973645860.jpeg

1703973658062.jpeg

looks great - but as with all things pickles, it all comes down to texture. Did they maintain some firmness?
Indeed. Nice crunch on each bite. I did soak these in ice water for 30 minutes before brining. The cukes were very firm as I placed them in the brine. As these age, they do get softer from my own experience. I’m sure these will be gone in less than a month.

You are lucky to have cukes available to you many times per year......not so much where I live.

I'll check on my jumbos and see if they are still good.....
Been chatting with the MRS and I have been talking her up about fermenting some kimchi........
Never made any before but I am very interested, maybe someone around here has??????
Got lucky enough to grab two of these...found a retailer who still had a couple bags and bought them up....me thinks it might work out well together. Every time I thought I found a bag of this spice it was not available....pretty excited to try some Asian inspired dishes out.

1704289014302.png

You are lucky to have cukes available to you many times per year......not so much where I live.

I'll check on my jumbos and see if they are still good.....
Been chatting with the MRS and I have been talking her up about fermenting some kimchi........
Never made any before but I am very interested, maybe someone around here has??????
Got lucky enough to grab two of these...found a retailer who still had a couple bags and bought them up....me thinks it might work out well together. Every time I thought I found a bag of this spice it was not available....pretty excited to try some Asian inspired dishes out.

View attachment 84674
I've fermented a lot of Kimchi using a recipe that Miriam loves. Pretty hot but you can easily adjust the gochugaru as needed. A few batches back I subbed in regular red radishes and green cabbage for the Daikon and Napa without any perceptible difference, so altered the recipe. PDF of recipe below. I use fermentation lids and a pump from this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789P6X32/?tag=tvwb-20
but you can do just fine without them. I allow mine to ferment for ~2 weeks. before refrigerating.

Attachments

• Kimchi.pdf
    203.1 KB · Views: 4
These are ready. Six and one half days of pickling. Almost full sour. They’ll continue to ferment when in the fridge. These Costco baby Persian cukes are super easy to work with and because of their size, they take on the brine faster than regular Kirby cucumbers which are the traditional ones used.

Wound up with two containers worth.

View attachment 84521

View attachment 84522

View attachment 84523

View attachment 84524
Great looking pickles Brett!

Quit pickling cukes after finding Sam's Club has gallon jars of Mt. Olive whole Kosher Dills (our favorite) for $6.34. Other cucumber pickles just sit in the fridge forever. We love our dills.

Great looking pickles Brett!

Quit pickling cukes after finding Sam's Club has gallon jars of Mt. Olive whole Kosher Dills (our favorite) for $6.34. Other cucumber pickles just sit in the fridge forever. We love our dills.
Thanks. Dills are good but we do love a good sour, naturally fermented pickle. We have both on hand to our favorite is whichever one we’re eating!

We buy that Mt Olive jumbo jar at Winco, IIRC. They go well on burgers.

I've fermented a lot of Kimchi using a recipe that Miriam loves. Pretty hot but you can easily adjust the gochugaru as needed. A few batches back I subbed in regular red radishes and green cabbage for the Daikon and Napa without any perceptible difference, so altered the recipe. PDF of recipe below. I use fermentation lids and a pump from this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789P6X32/?tag=tvwb-20
but you can do just fine without them. I allow mine to ferment for ~2 weeks. before refrigerating.
I will check it out, I have a fermenter I use for kraut and the last batch of pickles worked out well after being convinced by Brett as my first batch was trash.

I was at a European market Sunday, they had the mini Persians there so I thought I’d try them. Then I saw some that were called Russian cucumbers, very green and firm and covered with bumps. I decided to try them, I’ve never seen them before. They’re in an ice bath now.

07D320D4-1F7A-456D-A145-F0DD5824540D.png

I was at a European market Sunday, they had the mini Persians there so I thought I’d try them. Then I saw some that were called Russian cucumbers, very green and firm and covered with bumps. I decided to try them, I’ve never seen them before. They’re in an ice bath now.

View attachment 85262
those look good. the bumps mean immature cukes which is what you want, lower in total water content (the mushy center).

Back