Midweek Spares

Chuck Bench

TVWBB Fan
So, tomorrow I'm taking the family to the Blue Ridge BBQ Festival in Tryon, NC...I took off half a day today to get the house cleaned and the animals straightened out while we're gone...

Figured while I was home, might as well put some Spares on the WSM...mmm...

Did a couple of things different this time than all the other times I've made spares...I add minced dried onion to my rub instead of onion powder and also I used Frontier Lump Charcoal...I can already tell you that I like the fact that the Frontier doesn't have the same smell that the KBB has that I always use...I picked up a couple of 20 lb. bags of the Frontier Lump at Sam's last night and figured I'd try it...It was only $9.99 a bag...

So anyways without further adu, here's the pics...ribs have been on the smoker for an hour so that's where I'm at now...waiting

Ribs with my BBQ rub...I took Myron's BBQ rub and made it my own...

20140612_151122_zpsff89jsnx.jpg

250 and light smoke...the smoker has settled in at 220 for now...:D

20140612_151527_zpsa8q9frrt.jpg

Last edited:
Progress pictures...

Here's the rib rack ready for foiling...already doused with magic blue bottle sauce, brown sugar, and honey...

20140612_183750_zpsbdybyos1.jpg

Here's a pictures of the rib tips before I slathered them in goodness and foiled them...the color is redder than you see in the pic...a very nice mahogany color...I think the foil is messing with the camera...

20140612_183931_zps1y5hptpi.jpg

back on the WSM for another hour or less...

20140612_184356_zpshydjvdom.jpg

Here's the side dish...Russet potatoes, onion, red yellow and orange bell peppers, and a zucchini all diced up and tossed in olive oil...then I tossed them in some Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb...Once I unfoil the ribs and put some hog glaze on them, I'll put the ribs back on to set the glaze...I'll also put the veggies in our Weber vegetable basket on the Jumbo Joe at the same time...I love a meal totally cooked on the Webers...

20140612_184950_zps1iui3igx.jpg

Took the ribs out at an hour to check for tenderness and they weren't tender enough so they went back in, but before I put them in I put the veggies on the lower rack...

20140612_194230_zpsxe7x4uiv.jpg

WSM is loosing temp...looked in the door and there's not much lump charcoal left in the basket...so I guess I should have put more than a half basket in there lol...I always put a little more than a half basket of KBB in there and never use it all...so I figured I'd only use a half basket of the lump...guess I need to adjust my amounts lol

Well, got the ribs off the WSM...temp wouldn't come up any higher than 165 the last hour...they look awesome...taste wonderful, but they aren't completely done enough...they are done enough as far as temp, but the Boss thinks they could be done more...and I do too honestly...

also, the potatoes should have been grilled before putting in the basket...they are crisp and pretty close to raw lol...lesson learned

here's the pictures...best smoke ring I've gotten on a set of ribs yet...very nice, much nicer in person

20140612_214012_zpsupu7didc.jpg

and here's your plate...was delicious

20140612_214256_zpsrxxhf0js.jpg

final thoughts...

I REALLY like the taste of the Frontier Lump Charcoal over the KBB...the KBB has a distinct smoke flavor to it...the Frontier doesn't have that strong of a smoke flavor...I put small hickory chunks and apple wood chips in with the lump...I could definitely taste the hickory and apple over the frontier...when I use the KBB, all I can really taste is the KBB...so I'm going to use up the 2-20 pound bags of Frontier Lump charcoal and see how I like it...I might have to set the KBB on a shelf in the garage for backup charcoal and get me a few hundred pounds of the Frontier...

I used Myron's hog glaze instead of my homemade bbq sauce at the end to put on the ribs and it was fantastic...definitely going to switch up on that...

Definitely have to grill the potatoes before trying to soften them up lol...should have known that one

Chuck, I love that Webers Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning. Try it on wings. It is great!
I am a amateur radio operator and I talk to one of your neighbors on the radio. Do you know Mike Craven? If so tell him Hi.

Ben

Back