MiDi-WSM ribs

George L

TVWBB All-Star
Saturday I picked up a couple of slabs St.Louis spares and smoked them on my Midi-WSM. The Midi uses a 16-gallon drum on the Smokey Joe instead of the tamale pot.
I only used dry rub, hung the ribs in the smoker at 300°F for roughly 3.5 hours. They came out nice with a good bite to them, just the way I like them. Thanks for looking!

P1070191_zps0bb34b0d.jpg

P1070199_zpse65ec77b.jpg

P1070205_zpsd7b19eb3.jpg

P1070210_zpseb2f5904.jpg

P1070217_zps855960ff.jpg

Nice looking ribs George!! I gotta couple ????'s. First do you use a lid in that setup or just leave it open? Do you have to re-fuel the coals during a 3 hour cook?

Thanks!

Thanks folks!

I gotta couple ????'s. First do you use a lid in that setup or just leave it open? Do you have to re-fuel the coals during a 3 hour cook?
Yes, I use the lid, and no, I do not have to re-fuel, and use one chimney full of briquettes. It'll maintain 300F, no diffuser, with the bottom vent 50% open.

Here's what the Midi-WSM looks like. I think I've finally settled on a name for this thing.
P1060995_zpscec37175.jpg

Thanks George!! That is a sweet set up! Thinking with a diffuser of some sort you could hang some sausage or lots of racks of jerky!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks again. I bought the drum new, locally from Ditty Containers. This 16 gallon drum measures 14" across and 27" tall.
I originally bought this drum to make a mini-UDS but since I already had a Smokey Joe I figured I can use the SJ bottom as its firebox.

Back