Mexican style grilled chicken with vermicelli rice and grilled tomatoes

Brett, you are a machine! Don't you ever just heat up a frozen pizza or make some Mac and cheese? 😁
Nope. We don’t buy frozen pizza or Mac N cheese. Although the daughter does like and buys the TJs MnC.

I had to debone the chicken thighs so we have working stock here. So I cooked off 10 of those and 4 breasts. I trimmed up the other 8 breasts and another 10 thighs for the freezer as well.

A “simple” meal here is defrosted frozen shrimp cooked somehow. And on a rare occasion we’ll do pan fried grill cheese sandies. Those are pure nostalgia.

I do have a hankering for some hot dogs. Maybe soon. Those are basic.

Start to finish I did all this work tonight in around one hour for the entire meal from scratch and processing the chicken pieces till clean. And I did have some help to package the bird pieces for the freezer.

Last edited:
I don't often eat those things myself and even hot dogs on the grill are mostly for my family as I would much rather have a brat or Italian sausage. I am going to admit my biggest guilty pleasure is hamburger helper, and not that I ever had it as a kid growing up because my mother never made it. I discovered it when I moved out on my own and had to fend for myself and I love it. I've since graduated to making my own version of it which I consider to be superior, but still, I throw it into my meal planning every few weeks or so. Nobody else in my family will eat it except me and that's fine too. I spend too much time catering to their culinary whims to care!

Yeah I like to cook too but with work and running around I am out of the house about 11 hours of the day.......
Mildly jealous, but looks great, I would love to eat at your place everyday, would even sous chef everything all the time.....
Last night was a small locally made frozen pizza with real ingredients.....it was good but it was 15 minutes in the oven to warm up......

Last edited:
Amazing cook as always and you're making me think twice about staying with the kettle. That ceramic sure does seem pretty dang cool

Yeah I like to cook too but with work and running around I am out of the house about 11 hours of the day.......
Mildly jealous, but looks great, I would love to eat at your place everyday, would even sous chef everything all the time.....
Last night was a small locally made frozen pizza with real ingredients.....it was good but it was 15 minutes in the oven to warm up......
I try to only cook 3, maybe 4 times a week. Leftovers are common and planned for and my favorite eat out is Pho.

Leftovers tonight. Maybe rack of lamb this weekend as I have one left to cook. Fridge is now emptied of raw proteins that have to be managed. We’re back to froze and thaw ahead type cooks.

Amazing cook as always and you're making me think twice about staying with the kettle. That ceramic sure does seem pretty dang cool
You’re welcome to come see and experience the WSK. I’m down to one grill right now and am super satisfied with my choice and ability to cook anything on it. It’s an amazing grill/smoker. And no electricity required.

Brett,I’m starting to have some feelings of inferiority right now.
You seem to have a fine handle on how to maximize your effort! I think it might be time for me to make a trip to see you at work!!

so my new team member at my office, who's family is from Mexico, just had some of this for lunch and his quote is, "This is better than my mother's pollo asado. The flavors, the smoke, the juiciness, the spice, aroma from each bite, cover your tastebuds like no other pollo asado I've had."

not a paid endorsement here. i just cook for fun. it's nice to receive feedback.

hope you get a chance to cook this for your family and friends. it's by far, one of the easiest chicken cooks you can do; tacos, burritos, salads, plates, bowls; however you want to fill your pie hole.

Brett, Copied the recipe and will be giving it a try. I can see all kinds of possibilities with it.
Thanks for sharing it.

Back