Merry Christmas my fellow Weber enthusiasts!!!!! Question of the day comin' at ya!

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.....I hope everyone is enjoying their time off .....probably tinkering on an old grill in the garage with cookies and hot cocoa...or the like. Usually I am not restoring grills this time of year but I still haven't stopped and it doesn't look like I will anytime soon. It has been slim picking's around here so somehow I have ended up with 3 NG's and 1 propane grill currently. So my question of the day which I have yet to figure out is how to remove the deeply imbedded mold or grease from the rubber portion of the Genesis 300 series knobs. I am hesitant to soak the entire knob in bleach/water mix due to the nice red paint still on the kettles. While the wife wasnt around I stood at the kitchen sink with QTips just experimenting with applying a strong bleach mix to the dirty parts of the rubber.....I gave that about 30min of just working the bleach into the rubber the best I could but I saw very poor results. So....is there a magic trick?

Attachments

• 20231225_115830.jpg
    20231225_115830.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231225_115823.jpg
    20231225_115823.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 12
Hmmmmm I was thinking paint must be the only remaining option. Paint or dye....that grease or mold has basically stained the rubber permanently. I will wait to hear from Dave......thanks!

Bummer......I am primarily focused on the stained rubber portion.....The red kettle can always be painted. From time to time I get a grill with brand new knobs and it really spruces them up. When I find a really old Genesis 300 with the rubbery knobs that are all cracked from the sun I remove the rubber part. Most of it comes right off easily. The rest you have to widdle away with your pocket knife but they look so much better with all of the cracked rubber removed. It is just hard plastic underneath. Thanks for the replies!

There is no magical cure. Soap, water, elbow grease
and repaint the red kettle if needed.
@Dave in KC, Didn’t I see where it looked like your talented artistic wife was also repainting the rubber part of those handles? Obviously, that is after the thorough cleaning you mention. Leftover grease will ruin a paint job in a hurry.

There are a lot of aftermarket choices available on Amazon, anywhere from 15 to 25 dollars a set.

@Dave in KC, Didn’t I see where it looked like your talented artistic wife was also repainting the rubber part of those handles? Obviously, that is after the thorough cleaning you mention. Leftover grease will ruin a paint job in a hurry.
No, just the red kettles. I don't know of any fix for the
rubber part. Basically anything left out exposed to sun and rain
is eventually destroyed.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have one more session of rehab on this Geni 335 Stainless steel edition. She has fought me every step of the way. You guys know what I am talking about .......some grills just dont want to go back to work. Once I realized that this grill was going to be a tough one I adjusted my mind set to just one step at a time until I get the win! I will enclose a pic but dont judge or zoom.....it was a cold wet rainy day and I dont have any glamor pics yet. I will also be switching out the control panel and the Weber emblem for less scratched versions.

Attachments

• 20231226_175845.jpg
    20231226_175845.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 14
I actually hate those knobs for the very reason that they defy restoration. Dave has done a million of them, so if there was a way, he would know it.

Yah, they are not like the old Silver B and 1000 knobs. That soft rubber/vinyl gets those stupid spot stains and they just don't come out. That stuff likes to deteriorate fast too.

Ya I feel the same way. Part of the fun of the hobby is tackling obstacles that present themselves. With this talented group there are very few things that we cant find some kind of workaround on........these darn knobs are currently winning. But we will win in the end :)

I am still pondering the paint idea. Bruce, I swapped with you the last of those handles that I had. Someday I would like to at least try to degrease the rubber part on a well-used one and paint it satin black. Paint may not adhere. I know it won’t last, but the original finish obviously doesn’t either.

I am still pondering the paint idea. Bruce, I swapped with you the last of those handles that I had. Someday I would like to at least try to degrease the rubber part on a well-used one and paint it satin black. Paint may not adhere. I know it won’t last, but the original finish obviously doesn’t either.
Jon, it's just easier to get a replacement set of knobs for this grill. They aren't that expensive and apparently there is no fix for the old ones.

I like that spirit Jon! :) I see the replacements out there but after already buying a regulator, bars, burners, and shields, sometimes an extra $30 is a deal killer for a flip.

Maybe try one of those rubber cleaning/degreasing products for automotive and follow with an automotive type refinishing stuff used on that type of material

There ya go........the rubber in this case is in perfect condition but it is just stained with either black mold or grease. I assume the rubber is dyed from Weber. I realize the amount of time to restore these knobs versus replace doesnt make sense.......I just dont like to be stumped.

Yep, Jim, it is a constant battle to keep a rehab grill from nickle and diming you to death. At some point, the profit margin just doesn't give you any return for your labor. If you know you can get them cleaned up with an hours worth of work, it is worth it. If not, it is probably better to bow down to Amazon. Keep us posted on how it comes out.

Back