membrane or no membrane on ribs?

Cooks Illustrated has a tendency of trying too hard to devise some new technique that bucks conventional wisdom with something that is time tested. I don’t mind tinkering, but membrane definitely off.

Personally I don't find it offensive when left on, but I notice. I've tried both ways on spares and backs. Always off for me for many years now.

Just learn to take it off where you have the technique that works for you "down" and it's no longer a PIA. Heck - just ask the meat counter to do it for you if you don't want to bother yourself.

Once I became proficient at it I was less inclined to leave it on. It wasn't an obstacle anymore and comes off in seconds.

I experimented and the "crisp" mentioned above I actually thought was fine, but not so much that I want to leave it on after I got quick and efficient at removal. To me it impacts the mouth feel/bite to the point that I just want it off unless there's someone that specifically prefers it.

I believe the membrane does help retain moisture so not only do I leave mine on but I have a friend in the restaurant business that gives me the ones he takes off of his ribs. I then glue them on to the meat side of my ribs so both sides of my ribs have a membrane.

Okay, just kidding. I remove mine of course!

I've done it both ways. I didn't notice any quality difference I guess but I don't like the taste and texture of it so off it is. I would bet you get marked down if it was left on in a competition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
I believe the membrane does help retain moisture so not only do I leave mine on but I have a friend in the restaurant business that gives me the ones he takes off of his ribs. I then glue them on to the meat side of my ribs so both sides of my ribs have a membrane.

Okay, just kidding. I remove mine of course! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I save them, dry them, and use them to help light my coals.

I like to call it "the membrane method"...

icon_biggrin.gif

definitely take it off

i tested it with my wife (she didn't know ahead of time either)

she said the membraned ribs were gross and she actually thought there was something wrong. she refused to eat the membraned ribs after the first bite.

My first several smokes were with the membrane on, but that's mainly because I could never get them off
icon_biggrin.gif
Now that I finally know how to do it consistently, I much prefer the membrane off.

I always take it off. I thought the whole idea was to render fat, not keep it in?
I guess CI didn't take into consideration that if you use a rib rack membrane on or not doesn't stop gravity?

Tim

It's not that hard to take off using a butter knife and paper towel to grab it. I've found the more of them I do, the easier it gets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
It's not that hard to take off using a butter knife and paper towel to grab it. I've found the more of them I do, the easier it gets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. I can do it with just the paper towel alone now without much hassle.

Membrane definitely off. Tried cooking ribs with them on years ago and cut into 4 bone sections. Despite how tender the ribs were, the membrane kept them together, forcing me to have to tear the bones apart. This caused the meat to fall off the bone and onto the ground. Yep, at one time I thought FOTB was the way to go too.

Butter knife & paper towel is the easiest & best way to remove the membrane. I can usually get it all in one piece, which keeps me from having to fuss with some tiny pieces left behind.

I prefer membrane off.
There have been times when it seemed to just not want to come off, so i just scored it.
I don't think any body noticed.
Out of the 4 racks cooked, 2 had membrane on. there were no leftovers.
Says it all.

Didn't even know about the technique until I found this site. After trying it, I like my ribs like I like my women... Nekid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesH:
Didn't even know about the technique until I found this site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, now it is always membrane off.

Back