Meatloaf Help Please

Ive only made meatloaf once, but I just formed the loaf, and then stuck it on a piece of foil on the top rack.

I form the loaf in a baking pan on a piece of wax paper, usually around 2.5-3 lbs. In the fridge to firm up, toss the wax paper and then on the grate with nothing under it

formed the loaf and put it on a pizza pan that has holes in the bottom. with the high fat, i have never had one stick to the bottom. just make sure you foil your empty pan or clay saucer as it will drip a lot of fat.

I use a disposable tin foil pan, I use some tin snips to cut the sides off so it's basically just a thicker more sturdy piece of foil, then poke holes in the bottom and toss it when I'm done.

Todd

After forming, I return it to the fridge to firm up a bit, then mine goes straight onto the grate with no pan.

I started doing the parchment thing over 4 years ago and I'm still using it. I like the loaf not sitting in .5" or so of liquid and I get bottom smoke ring:

ml035.jpg

Another vote for parchment. Couple of things though. Poke some holes to allow for drainage of the drippings. Also, parchment paper can catch on fire. Happened to me after I took off the meatloaf and didn't replace the lid immediately. Was that ever fun putting out the fire. Remove the parchment when you take out the loaf.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know it is alot more costly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I get a 200sq ft roll of parchment from Costco for $10. Don't remember the exact price ... had to convert it but 645 sq ft of name brand HD foil from my Costco is over $20 so, give or take a bit they are close to the same cost, but yeah, I guess parchment is a bit more.

From Amazon.com
this is the same brand of parchment I use, $14.40/205 sq ft and
this is the closest I could find to what I priced above $31/500sq ft.

Not a huge + but I like the bottom smoke ring I get (see my post above) with parchment. Do you get that with foil?

Edit: had to fix up my prices

I didn't really look! I just figured everybody has foil on the shelf so, that is the easiest solution! If I ran out and bought parchment just to cook a meatloaf, I would not have anything else to use it on ,whereas foil.......

Parchment paper doesnt get as hot as foil so the bottom wont burn as quick and there is little chance that the meat will have sticking problems. jmo

I see what you're saying Dave. Yeah, I use parchment for other things but I wouldn't drive across town for parchment just for smoking a ML.

I thought about it some more and when i cook fatties I just put them straight on the rack. Only reason i use PP for meatloaf is the size i guess. I make them big. I do not like cooking them in a pan because of the grease. Tried the bread on the bottom of the pan trick and it works, just found that Parchment is more to my liking. Anyone ever have meat stick to the foil? I have.

Back