Meatloaf Help Please

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seems like we are all splitting hairs as is apt to happen on these forums! Either/or seems good! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yup to both (opinions are like ... well you know
icon_razz.gif
)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone ever have meat stick to the foil? I have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, then you have to peel it off. This might be related or a tangent but I've noticed a couple times recently foil sems to react with the food it was touching. One was xmas turkey (salt in brine?) the other was a angel food cake and jello desert with strawberries and cream (no friggen idea what in that would cause it). In both cases there were holes in the foil where it was touching the food, and a black discoloration on the food.

Does this happen to anyone else? Maybe I have crappy foil? Anyone know what foods WILL do this or does it depend on the foil?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seems like we are all splitting hairs as is apt to happen on these forums! Either/or seems good! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yup to both (opinions are like ... well you know
icon_razz.gif
)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone ever have meat stick to the foil? I have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, then you have to peel it off. This might be related or a tangent but I've noticed a couple times recently foil sems to react with the food it was touching. One was xmas turkey (salt in brine?) the other was a angel food cake and jello desert with strawberries and cream (no friggen idea what in that would cause it). In both cases there were holes in the foil where it was touching the food, and a black discoloration on the food.

Does this happen to anyone else? Maybe I have crappy foil? Anyone know what foods WILL do this or does it depend on the foil? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, yes, now that you mention it, I had a potato casserole get that funky black gunk two weeks ago!

I found an answer to that, the black stuff here. It says:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Why does my foil darken or discolor sometimes during baking?
The darkening of foil may be caused by moisture from the food being covered. This results in a buildup of aluminum oxide. This is a totally harmless substance that is naturally present on the surface of foil. Moisture tends to accelerate this buildup.

Why does aluminum foil sometimes melt and leave black specks on the food?
Occasionally when aluminum foil comes in contact with a different metal or a food that is highly salted or acidic, small pinholes are formed in the foil. This is a harmless reaction that does not affect the safety of the food. It is difficult to predict, but may occur under the following conditions:

1. When aluminum and a dissimilar metal are in contact in the presence of moisture, an electrolytic reaction may occur causing a breakdown of the aluminum. To avoid this use aluminum, glass, ceramic, plastic or paper containers. Do not cover sterling silver, silverplate, stainless steel or iron utensils with aluminum foil.

2. A similar reaction may occur when salt, vinegar, highly acidic foods or highly spiced foods come in contact with aluminum foil. The result of these reactions is a harmless aluminum salt. Some aluminum salts are used in medicines to treat stomach disorders. The food can be safely eaten; however, the aluminum salt particles can be removed from the food to improve the appearance of the food.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back