Meatheads "Reverse Sear" question

GarciaWork

TVWBB Member
Newb to this style, but reading a lot on amazingribs.com and seeing a lot of logic. Looking at the reverse sear idea, but curious how to set up a gas grill for this. I am used to the sear being first, so naturally heat the grill up for 10-15 before anything gets thrown on. If going for a reverse sear, would I want to heat up less to get going, and start with an indirect setup? I would still be heating up the other end, so by the time any searing would be going on, I should have a fair amount of heat, just not sure how this will all play out. I'd test, but we are about to move, my grill is getting sold, and a new one is waiting for me, and this is going to eat at me until then!

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming this is on your new gill with the sear station?

I don't remember which side the extra burner is.

If it's a steak, I'd start with 3 burners, preheat to 350.

Shut off all but the outside burner on the sear station side. Set the one remaining burner to low.

Open the lid, Let some heat out, put the steak on the opposite side from the one burner still on. Use a thermometer in the meat and cook to 120F.

When it hits 120, pull the meat, crank up the middle, sear and the outer burner next to sear to high.

About 5 mins should be enough.

Put the steak on over the heat. 60 seconds a side, flip, flip again, flip again.

That's probably good for rare.

Pull it, let it rest, check temp.

Enjoy

The one thing I like to do is once the steak is up to temp, I fully rest it. Then I sear it. There in virtually no rise of the IT. Serve immediately.
If the steak is less than an inch thick, I do not reverse sear it.

I guess I was never really convinced reverse searing did anything for me. I still front sear to color, move to indirect heat, check internal temp and cook until the temperature I know results in my desired doneness after a 15 min rest.

I haven't tried sous vide, but it would seem miss the opportunity to use the indirect heat cooking period for some smoking. When I do a steak, my setup is sear first over a very hot fire, very close under the grate, then move away from the heat to indirect finish the steak to the desired internal temp, all the while using mesquite chunks for smoke, in a closed grill. Mesquite is so strong that even as little time as it takes to cook a steak, I get a destinct smoke flavor. I reallly like my steaks over most any restaurant because of this. This method is not so different than how a traditional California Central Coast Tri-tip gets its distinct smoke flavor (coastal oak), except that there is no enclosure of the grill. But, the grill is raised and fire allowed to burn down, to reduce heat while smoke from the oak fire continues to brush the meat. That's the major reason I haven't tried sous vide. ...that and it's French.

Last edited:
The one thing I like to do is once the steak is up to temp, I fully rest it. Then I sear it. There in virtually no rise of the IT. Serve immediately.
If the steak is less than an inch thick, I do not reverse sear it.
Agree that a 15 minute rest between the initial cook and the sear is a good idea. I think Meathead also recommends that you blot the moisture off the surface of the steak and then apply a thin coat of oil just before searing. I have had good success with developing a nice crust using this tip. I use a kettle and throw a couple of small chunks of oak or pecan during the initial cook -- it adds a little "wood-grilled" flavor layer.

I'd go to a minimum of 1-1/2" on the thickness, tho.

Jeff

Ribeye sear by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

This guy has some funny videos about reverse searing sous vide steak. Here's one. (that "flamethrower" is a Harbor Freight weedburner ~$25, but, you can get a more stylish version called a "Grill Gun" on the net for ~$179, if you want cool)

Grill Gun

Last edited:

Back