Meat Thermometers

I think the back burner might run a little cooler.
They all run the same. The only thing might be is natural air flow of a true Genesis is front to back so back on only MIGHT produce a lower internal temp only because heat is escaping where it is produced. Though it's not a good way to cook on them

Yep, and then you loose the convection aspect and if you are using wood chips for smoke, the front burner is definitely the way to go.

I like steak rare, my wife like well done.

No food poisoning yet from cooking meat though, lol.

So I decided to test out the thermometer:
View attachment 57722
Low-Low-Low and the temperature went off the chart in short order - over around 570 degrees and the thermometer reads HHH - too hot
View attachment 57723Low-Off-Off, ten minutes on the timer, low 80’s outside and not in direct sunlight. Stabilize aroun 255 degrees
View attachment 57724

Off-Low-Off - stabilize around 322 degrees
View attachment 57725

Off-Off-Low -stabilize around 248 degrees
View attachment 57726
Fwiw
Sweet!
Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a great chance to get a decent tool at a great price. I have mentioned before, but it seems clear to me that these bbq accessory items are among the first to feel the recessionary pinch as they are generally not viewed as “essential.” (I might argue that having an instant read thermometer is essential😎.) Anyway, both Thermopro and Thermoworks have been throwing out significant sales left and right. Great time to be in the market for one.

FE434B12-BCB5-4B7D-AEDE-C86917274972.jpeg

I had a Thermoworks MK4. Loved it, but it was lost during my house move. I didn’t want to replace it with the new Thermopen One since I can’t guarantee I won’t lose it again. Chaining it to the grill seems too foolish. So I picked up the Thermopro TP19. For the price, if it walked away, I won’t be too sad.

The build quality isn’t as refined compared to the Thermoworks. The gasket around the battery compartment causes the cover to bulge ever so slightly. Doesn’t affect functionality whatsoever though. The probe on my mk4 opened buttery smooth. The TP19 probe opens smoothly but tight, maybe it will loosen up with use (but hopefully not too loose).

Overall, it’s fast enough and accurate enough, gets the job done. For the price, I’d buy it again and not stress if it disappears again.

The TP19 is the one with the red LED readout:

The TP19H looks very different - who knows why it just got a letter tagged on :unsure:. It is probably the one I like best and that comes closest to feeling like a Thermoworks unit. It still doesn't have that overall quality construction as a Thermapen, but you can practially buy a box full of them for the price of one Thermapen One. Mine is orange (not my favorite color), but now you can get it in red, too:

To recap, I don't think any of these lower cost options are going to equate with a Thermapen. But, I think ThermoPro is the best option out there for an alternative. They do support their products and mine have worked great. My TP19H has been taken over as a kitchen tool. It is several years old now. Thermapens don't always last, either, although I think they will bend over backwards to make it right for you.

Reactions: Loc
View attachment 58394

I had a Thermoworks MK4. Loved it, but it was lost during my house move. I didn’t want to replace it with the new Thermopen One since I can’t guarantee I won’t lose it again. Chaining it to the grill seems too foolish. So I picked up the Thermopro TP19. For the price, if it walked away, I won’t be too sad.

The build quality isn’t as refined compared to the Thermoworks. The gasket around the battery compartment causes the cover to bulge ever so slightly. Doesn’t affect functionality whatsoever though. The probe on my mk4 opened buttery smooth. The TP19 probe opens smoothly but tight, maybe it will loosen up with use (but hopefully not too loose).

Overall, it’s fast enough and accurate enough, gets the job done. For the price, I’d buy it again and not stress if it disappears again.
What kind of battery is that?

It came with AAA included
I consider that to be a big plus. Easy to replace, and give ThermoPro credit that they used a brass connector for the screw holding the lid on instead of cheap plastic.

I always use the more expensive lithium batteries to try and ward off any corrosion.

Reactions: Loc
I bought an extra TP19h to leave at my dad's house. Bought another for my brother (he LOVES it BTW), also bought one for youngest daughter. I have the TP19.

I bought an extra TP19h to leave at my dad's house. Bought another for my brother (he LOVES it BTW), also bought one for youngest daughter. I have the TP19.
This is a much sounder strategy then traveling with an mk4 and inadvertently leaving it behind. I’ve also regifted enough Webers to relatives that I can always find a trusty unit to drive when we visit. Unfortunately, I’ve also run out of freezer space and stored stuff at their house, let’s just say shrinkage

So after the bad experience with the Thermopro TP620, which didn't provide accurate temperature readings and also had poor build quality, I decided to give Thermopro one more try since you guys here seem to rave about the brand. Anyway, I'm happy to report my new TP19H is light years better than the TP630. This one is actually pretty decent all around. It's does seem a bit slow (takes almost twice as long as my Javelin Pro Duo to get a stable reading), but measured temperatures appear to be accurate and measurement time is still fast enough to be considered instant read. Overall, my Javelin Pro Duo is still my favorite instant read thermometer, but the TP19H is next on my list.

A Lee: What is the price difference between the two. While the ThermoPro products may not be Top line, they are very close and usually the price makes them very attractive for a large portion of the customer base.

Back