Meat Thermometer leveling off

Michael Campisi

Has anyone ever had a problem with their meat thermometers leveling off temperaturewise? I seem to have been having that problem with both the digital as well as analogue types. I end up just determining if the meat is done based on time and looseness of the bone. It's driving me crazy!

Or, if you're talking about butts and brisket, perhaps you're just experiencing the "plateau" that both go through-- typically in the mid-160's. If so, it passes after a couple hours and the temp climb resumes.

Yes, I am referring to the plateuing. I would agree that it should start to rise, but I had a 6 lb brisket smoking for close to 11 hours, and the temp was infact dropping! Doesn't make sense!

A temp drop during the plateau is common and may occur as the interior fat and connective tissue renders. Patience is key. The temp rise will resume as the rendering process is further along.

At what temp are you cooking?

I put brisket on the smoker and spend roughly an hour to hour and a half regulating the temp then goto bed. The past couple of briskets I have smoked I notice when going to bed the temp of the brisket at 140. When I get up usually 6-7 hours later it still hasn't broke the plateau. I have seen them go 4 hours in the 160 range.

You can always foil if you want. I done that the first few times I did brisket. Looking back I think I was impatient. At the time it was happening I was having a hard time of it.

I think someone here told this to me a year ago. "Patience Grasshopper"

Back