Meat storage/freezing?

+ 1 on a backup generator. If nothing else to keep food cold.
I keep contemplating backup generators, anywhere from portable to permanent placed. In the 12 years we've owned this house, we've had 1 outage that lasted more than about 10 minutes. The sole exception was less that 4 hours caused by a transformer failure just over the bank down towards the river. Even the storm system a few years ago that landed 5 tornadoes in less than a 5 mile radius only dropped power for a couple of minutes. We are quite fortunate in having all of our utilities buried and not overhead. South of the river, people in that storm lost power for 48 to 72 hours. As much as I would like to pick up a generator, I just can't justify the expense.

Yep, yep I've considered buying stock in StaBil LOL
I am lucky to have a station near me that sells gas without ethanol. I’ve been using that in my generator and small yard engines for years and have never had a problem even after I store equipment over the winter. I have a whole house generator, but I also have a small portable one. Even using ethanol free gas, I run the gas out before storage. Nothing worse than a generator that won’t start when you need it.

Here‘s a site that can point you to ethanol free gas in your area if you have it anywhere.

Yep we have a Circle K near by that sells ethanol free. Close to $6 gal but now I only have 4 small engines that use it. My walk behind mower, my backup gen, snow blower and pressure washer. So 5 gal lasts a long time. I got one of these for backup gen https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200888192_200888192 Thanks to all the energy saving things I installed in my home, I can just about run the entire house (including refrigeration units) on this thing. And from 10' away you don't even hear it running.

I am lucky to have a station near me that sells gas without ethanol. I’ve been using that in my generator and small yard engines for years and have never had a problem even after I store equipment over the winter. I have a whole house generator, but I also have a small portable one. Even using ethanol free gas, I run the gas out before storage. Nothing worse than a generator that won’t start when you need it.

Here‘s a site that can point you to ethanol free gas in your area if you have it anywhere.

I checked the site for NJ and the majority of the stations seem to be at airports.

We haven't had any series power loses here, the longest was about four hours when a drunk took out a utility pole with a transformer on it. But now that the drought is taking lake Powell and mead down to where they won't be able to run the generators at the dams, I decided due to the warning of rolling blackouts to get a generator. A friend of mine had one that he bought and then decided to get one to run his whole house instead. He offered it to me for half of what he bought it for. It was new never even started its electric start 5500 watts dual fuel propane/gas. After I broke it in under lite loads, I hooked up both garage freezers to it and it ran both without any strain.
I've got 4 20lb propane tanks dedicated to it and ten gallons of gas. So we should be good with that as backup.

MN stations can sell 91 octane ethanol free, but only for off road use like in small engines, dirt bikes & the like, and classic cars. It's a good idea for anything here fuel will sit for long periods of time.

We have ethanol free gas readily available here. That's all I use for everything - vehicles, mowers, etc. I still put StaBil in any fuel that won't be used for a while.

I checked the site for NJ and the majority of the stations seem to be at airports.
Around here, they’re mostly around marinas. I guess the boats use it. But, there are a few stations that aren’t near the water and thankfully, one is near by.

How do you afford it? Here it's $1+ more than plain regular which is already too expe$ive
It's definitely too high - all of it!

I just consider it a necessary expense. (I don't think ours is quite a $1 higher tho, maybe 50-75 cents?)
Yesterday I filled up at $4.42 and I think the ethanol was about 3.75... Maybe 3.95. I'll have to pay more attention.

This was a considerable improvement from about 10 days ago, when it was $5.17.

The only reason I'd run ethanol free is for things that sit for long periods of time. Even when I park the Civic for the winter, it gets a does of Sta-Bil, the tank filled, and parked in the back yard. No airspace = little condensation. Snow blower, lawn mower, all get ethanol free due to long periods of standing idle with an air space in the tank as well as seals in the fuel system & carburetor that are barely able to handle the ethanol.

Yeah really in a modern vehicle no need to run E free. I tried it a couple times in my Highlander hoping to see an MPG improvement. None was had and no performance improvement. IN a modern fuel injected system there is no need to spend the xtra $$$. Nothing is gained at all. Plus right now around here E Free is just a hair under $6 per gal. While E10 is right about $4.99 (unless hitting Costco or Sams) then it's about $4.40
I use it in my outdoor power equipment but quite frankly I never had an issue with the E10 in that stuff either. I just do it because especially now it sits a long time. I am still using gasoline I bought last fall. That's how little gasoline I need now for my power equipment.

The other thing one can do (I have done), is use regular gas most of the season and just run the E free gas in the fall. Then, that’s what’s in the tank when it’s stored for the winter.

Where my dad lives in MO, there’s a station where the premium is E free. Still expensive but the gap between the reg and premium is nowhere near what E free costs me here being at a separate pump.

We live in a forest and always have power outages.
We have one of those costco tri fuel generators and a huge propane tank that came with the place when we bought it.

How do you guys find E free gas?
I think I may have problems when I start a few of my old motorcycle.

I just kind of fell into it. A Circle K station near my house sells it. Maybe try a Gas Buddy search in your area? My thing is I would like to find Off Road Diesel. IDK why I should have to pay road taxes to put diesel in my tractor

Most freezers run on about 1 amp compressor and the savings come from 2 things on freezers, defrost draws 3.5-4.5 and maybe a little less on some models with shorter defrost cycles, the other is on a uprite door is opened all of the cold air spills out, chest freezers loose very little from a lid opening, milk crates work great to separate stuff in freezers while allowing airflow , also no fan on chest, I bought a Thompson fridge from Sams to store drinks ect when the compressor started knocking on my knee high unit, r600 and no fans or defrost system, been great for maybe 2 years . hope it continues, defrosting 1 is simple on chest freezers most of the time, a simple windshield scrapper once in awhile around the top to keep the frost away from the gasket helps a lot.

Yeah I bought 2 freezers from Sam's (Thompson). Upright for myself, and a chest version for my daughter. Both seem to work just fine.

Back