Meat Drippings...Do you?

James H

TVWBB Pro
So meat drippings sound like an excellent add to sauces or back to the pulled meat. I see that some just add what is there back to the sauce while others will de-fat. What do you guys think? is there valid use both ways or is one way better?

I will usually de-fat. Sometimes, if my brisket is dry, I'll put some of the fat back over the meat with the juices as it can help with mouthfeel.

I LOVE adding the de-fatted juices to Steve Petrone's #5 sauce.

R

A follow up to James question. Does anyone actively catch meat drippings, like a drip pan on the bottom rack?

When I did a Brisket last year and wrapped in foil I used the remaining drippings from the foil in replacement of beef stock in chili.

Meat drippings... Do you drink them immediately and even ask for a straw at the restaurant much to the horror of your GF? Well as a former vegan. Yes I do.

Last edited:
I will usually de-fat. Sometimes, if my brisket is dry, I'll put some of the fat back over the meat with the juices as it can help with mouthfeel.

I LOVE adding the de-fatted juices to Steve Petrone's #5 sauce.

R
I also add the defatted juices back to the #5 sauce. Yesterday I made some #5 but didn't have any juices so instead I juiced it up with 1/4 cup of 101 Wild Turkey, got to tell you it brought a smile to my face.

Back