Mclaren and a pastrami

Kind of off topic but I gotta share what I saw today.
I saw a Bentley SUV crusin down 680.
It looked cool and all that.
The cool factor was another Bentley (one of them small ones) came up and they both jumped on it for a short bit.
Racing Bentley’s is something I’ve never seen before.

I‘m just a simple pipe trades guy that did ok.
The other day I saw 2 different Lambo SUV’s in my hood.

Me?
I sport a 2001 Silverado ;).
I have the poor man’s car amongst my friends. M2 6MT

They’re in Ferraris, Porsches and other exotics. I still work for a living and will be for a long time.

Will do. The current plan is to preheat water and only place 1 inch of water (or less) in the 1/4 sheet pan below the 1/4 sheet racked meat. I had to stretch the aluminum pan (Costco's finest multi-pan pack which all of us BBQ'ers have on hand) so that my rack would fit evenly. Pretty simple task and easy success.

From my experience and knowledge, you're only seeking to get some water into the pan and then fully seal the pan with heavy aluminum foil and keep the foil tented above the meat, creating a dome like seal.

When the water steams inside the dome, the steam will rise and then roll down the dome sides so as to avoid giving the pastrami a bath, more a true schvitz (yiddish).

The reduced amount of water, say an inch or less, also should stop the meat from having too much moisture, again to preserve the bark, and be enough to get the temp up on this meat so we can get to 195.

I'm not quite sure I followed the layers of pans.

This is what I think you are telling me.

1/4 sheet pan with water.
half sized aluminum steamer pan with a rack in side and meat on the rack.

Stack the steamer onto the 1/4 sheet pan and dome wrap it all up?

Is this done in the electric oven? Temp? Time ?

it looks fantastic and I want to try this.

I'm not quite sure I followed the layers of pans.

This is what I think you are telling me.

1/4 sheet pan with water.
half sized aluminum steamer pan with a rack in side and meat on the rack.

Stack the steamer onto the 1/4 sheet pan and dome wrap it all up?

Is this done in the electric oven? Temp? Time ?

it looks fantastic and I want to try this.
Sorry for confusion.

1/4 size rack, fitted into a 1/4 pan (Costco disposable aluminum ones) which is slightly reshaped to fit the rack into it. Less than 1” of water at bottom of pan, heavy foil tenting the pastrami while trying to dome the foil so it’s not touching the pastrami top. Seal to keep the moisture inside the pan and foil.

In oven, 400°F on convection, which is like 425°F non-convection. Cook time from room temped pastrami was 90 min, with a target done temp of 195° and no higher than 202° I don’t have probes, I just know my oven an how meat temps rise from experience.

Looking good man....I want to make that or corned beef myself.
With the season changing I have some nice cuts lined up to go, not that I have stopped....the warmer weather allows me to cook better food.
That's what I tell myself anyways.....about a month away from back deck furniture time.
Keep the posts coming, you always have new neat stuff to show off.....I just cook the same crap over and over.

Looking good man....I want to make that or corned beef myself.
With the season changing I have some nice cuts lined up to go, not that I have stopped....the warmer weather allows me to cook better food.
That's what I tell myself anyways.....about a month away from back deck furniture time.
Keep the posts coming, you always have new neat stuff to show off.....I just cook the same crap over and over.
so the big response at dinner was "this is so much better than corned beef." and that was due to the de-salting of the corned beef to make it a pastrami. def 3 water changes over 48 hours made for a perfect bath to get the oversalting out of this corned beef. i think this part of the method is perfected.

with the time change, it's nice to be outside after work. it was quite relaxing to smoke the pastrami, watch and smell the smoke stream coming out of the E6 and enjoy a relaxing adult bev.

i'll try to keep mixing up the menu. gonna be 80 degrees here next week and we're so looking forward to spring.

Looks Tasty! My flat goes in the sous vide tomorrow. The point will go into the Baby WSM for pastrami.
my post mortem changes to this cook:

if you're using the amazingribs pastrami rub recipe, which the flavor profile is 100% spot on, i would do a full dust grind of the black peppercorns and coriander seeds. and omit the mustard seeds and double up on the mustard powder.

i grind my own mustard seeds to make my own mustards so getting to only mustard powder is quite easy.

reason for this recco is to create a pastrami rub that is smooth and you can really press into/on the beef. i think a very fine spice grind will help build a more solid bark when smoking the pastrami. not that what i did was bad; it wasn't. just that my memory tells me to just make it a fine ground powder and really apply/rub it onto the meat pre-smoke.

the water amount for the steam cook is really less than one inch. i would NOT go more than an inch for this size of brisket (1/4 tray sized). the amount of water is really just to keep the brisket moist as you get it to temp. too much water and you'll sog up the bark.

my bark had two distinct layers, the hard set bark and the larger corianders and chunkier black peppercorns softened up nicely from the schvitz but IMO were too wet (that's me being a highly judgemental b@#$%rd). so i recco going very well ground on the spices and really apply them and press them into the beef.

the schvitz, while cooking the pastrami is a fine line between adding moisture to keep the pastrami from not drying out to just keeping it warm so that you're serving a warm pastrami. too much water and your bark will get gooey. so err on the side of less and you can always add some if you temp check at the 60 minute mark of the oven schvitz cook part.

hope this all helps those that seek to remake this recipe/cook.

overall, we WILL be doing this again as everyone really liked it and with my wife having just been in NY and having eaten pastrami in the past few days, she stated mine was better due to the lower salt content of the meat and the overall tenderness of the cook. flavors were nearly identical so to me, that's a win because pastrami IS NOT the easiest cook to get right.

Last edited:
my post mortem changes to this cook:

if you're using the amazingribs pastra mix rub recipe, which the flavor profile is 100% spot on, i would do a full dust grind of the black peppercorns and coriander seeds. and omit the mustard seeds and double up on the mustard powder.

i grind my own mustard seeds to make my own mustards so getting to only mustard powder is quite easy.

reason for this recco is to create a pastrami rub that is smooth and you can really press into/on the beef. i think a very fine spice grind will help build a more solid bark when smoking the pastrami. not that what i did was bad; it wasn't. just that my memory tells me to just make it a fine ground powder and really apply/rub it onto the meat pre-smoke.

the water amount for the steam cook is really less than one inch. i would NOT go more than an inch for this size of brisket (1/4 tray sized). the amount of water is really just to keep the broket moist as you get it to temp. too much water and you'll sog up the bark.

my bark had two distinct layers, the hard set bark and the larger corianders and chunkier black peppercorns softened up nicely from the schvitz but IMO were too wet (that's me being a highly judgemental b@#$%rd). so i recco going very well ground on the spices and really apply them and press them into the beef.

the schvitz, while cooking the pastrami is a fine line between adding moisture to keep the pastrami from not drying out to just keeping it warm so that you're serving a warm pastrami. too much water and your bark will get gooey. so err on the side of less and you can always add some if you temp check at the 60 minute mark of the oven schvitz cook part.

hope this all helps those that seek to remake this recipe/cook.

overall, we WILL be doing this again as everyone really liked it and with my wife having just been in NY and having eaten pastrami in the past few days, she stated mine was better due to the lower salt content of the meat and the overall tenderness of the cook. flavors were nearly identical so to me, that's a win because pastrami IS NOT the easiest cook to get right.
Good stuff Brett.

A couple weeks ago, I did a pastrami, starting with a SRF Wagyu Corned Beef Round (rump cap). I used the Meathead spices as you did. It was incredible. I had made corned beef from tri-tip and into pastrami in years past, but the wagyu was just a whole different experience. For that one, I smoked until the bark was set and dark, then I foil wrapped and put it in the oven at 350F until it reached 203F core, but it wasn't probe tender (not enough time to render collagen), but I removed it anyway, because I wanted a bit more texture strength for sliced meat. It was perfect.

On the pastrami rub, I used to put it on for and leave in the fridge for a couple days. Not sure it made any difference.

I’m going to try this again soon, I will probably wrap tightly from 165 to 203. I might even go with butcher paper. I used ground pepper, garlic and coriander powder and had a killer bark going but turned it to yuck!!
I agree on the long soak being perfect.

I’m going to try this again soon, I will probably wrap tightly from 165 to 203. I might even go with butcher paper. I used ground pepper, garlic and coriander powder and had a killer bark going but turned it to yuck!!
I agree on the long soak being perfect.

▢2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
▢1 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
▢1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
▢1 tablespoon coriander powder
▢1 tablespoon brown sugar
▢1 tablespoon paprika
▢2 teaspoons garlic powder
▢2 teaspoons onion powder
▢½ teaspoon whole yellow (white) mustard seeds
▢½ teaspoon mustard powder

the brown sugar is needed to help promote a dark and hard bark. the brown sugar caramelizes and becomes hard. all the other ingredients add flavor.

▢2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
▢1 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
▢1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
▢1 tablespoon coriander powder
▢1 tablespoon brown sugar
▢1 tablespoon paprika
▢2 teaspoons garlic powder
▢2 teaspoons onion powder
▢½ teaspoon whole yellow (white) mustard seeds
▢½ teaspoon mustard powder

the brown sugar is needed to help promote a dark and hard bark. the brown sugar caramelizes and becomes hard. all the other ingredients add flavor.
I had everything but the mustard seeds, I tried to replicate Amazing Ribs recipe. I’ll pick some up before my next go round.

Back