Mclaren and a pastrami

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The Mclaren isn’t mine. Insurance is too expensive 😂

Corned beef soaked for 48 hours and water changed 3x.

Amazingribs.com pastrami rub.

Laid the rub on heavy and resting awaiting the E6.

KPro because I just need heat and not a lot of smoke flavor (and I want it gone from my stash)

1647479934989.jpeg

1647479949890.jpeg

1647479969814.jpeg

1647479989528.jpeg

Bacon grease used napkins and some extra bacon grease on the coals. We waste nothin.

1647480042468.jpeg

Love the later sunsets. Get some quality patio time in as I write this.

1647480086950.jpeg

Last edited:
Literally 10 mins after in CBs light. Damn I saved a lot of time doing it this way. New light method for in-CBs coal lighting discovered.

1647480628707.jpeg

Force field deflector plate activated. We are safe from all incoming attacks.

1647480685489.jpeg

1647480708221.jpeg

Ready for his closeup.

1647480735614.jpeg

83 mins in. ‘Hood smells real good. I think I’m the only one cooking tonight.

1647483850867.jpeg

2 hours in and probing 153° E6 hovering around 300°

1647486243957.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking forward to your results. I killed my awesome bark by putting water in the pan and covering, I wouldn’t do that again.
I know you’ll nail this so I’m taking notes. Well not really notes but I will keep an eye on this!! 🤣

Brett,
That looks very tasty.
I am going to do one in the near future because of those pics.
Thank you, @Andy Kaminski. Fingers crossed the steam method adds value and doesn't soggy the bark.

Note, this was a Costco corned beef, not SRF, which Costco also sells. Starting weight was around 3.75# and I chose a mid section cut, not the end flat flap nor a full point. Just that spot that rises to the point. Almost what appeared to be a perfect middle cut.

Last edited:
Please share details on the steaming phase.

And when it's sliced and ready I'll bring the rye bread
Will do. The current plan is to preheat water and only place 1 inch of water (or less) in the 1/4 sheet pan below the 1/4 sheet racked meat. I had to stretch the aluminum pan (Costco's finest multi-pan pack which all of us BBQ'ers have on hand) so that my rack would fit evenly. Pretty simple task and easy success.

From my experience and knowledge, you're only seeking to get some water into the pan and then fully seal the pan with heavy aluminum foil and keep the foil tented above the meat, creating a dome like seal.

When the water steams inside the dome, the steam will rise and then roll down the dome sides so as to avoid giving the pastrami a bath, more a true schvitz (yiddish).

The reduced amount of water, say an inch or less, also should stop the meat from having too much moisture, again to preserve the bark, and be enough to get the temp up on this meat so we can get to 195.

My wife and daughter just got home from NY. And I just realised that I should have asked her to get a NY rye. Oh well. She's off to KP in Rancho as they have authentic and locally baked rye breads. I'm pretty sure it's a local Russian bakery that makes them. They also have those yellow bakery cookies dipped in dark chocolate. Those are my kryptonite.

these:
1647545044232.png

This bakery:

I don't know if we'll get to leftovers. I think we're 6 for dinner. I need to make some sides too but always seem to be running out of time lately.

Last edited:
Damn that looks delicious! Pastrami is on my list to try
There really is nothing like fresh homemade foods. I too am hopeful this will be a hit. Feeling good about the work and process so far.

Check out https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes-spice-rubs-and-pastes-katzs-pastrami-rub/

Of small useless trivia, which i seem to have a bunch of in life, my great-grandfather was a counterman at Katz's many moons ago when Jews were stuffed into and lived in the Manhattan's LES. We grew up going to Katz's and other Jewish delis so this meal will being back some good memories. https://untappedcities.com/2022/01/19/history-of-jewish-deli-nyc/

1647543610438.jpeg

1647543635215.jpeg

2013 NY trip. Took the kids on a progressive dinner food tour to 4 restaurants

1647543725455.jpeg

Daughter had an egg cream at Katz’s

1647543772082.jpeg

And everyone knows this sign

1647543808437.jpeg

And I will imbibe in a Dr Browns Cel-Ray. This is god's nectar for Jewish deli sandwiches. You must try it at least once in life. https://www.seriouseats.com/dr-browns-cel-ray-celery-soda-history

1647543894235.jpeg

Last edited:
Kind of off topic but I gotta share what I saw today.
I saw a Bentley SUV crusin down 680.
It looked cool and all that.
The cool factor was another Bentley (one of them small ones) came up and they both jumped on it for a short bit.
Racing Bentley’s is something I’ve never seen before.

I‘m just a simple pipe trades guy that did ok.
The other day I saw 2 different Lambo SUV’s in my hood.

Me?
I sport a 2001 Silverado ;).

Back