Maybe I'm using my Performer all wrong????

James Lake

TVWBB Emerald Member
I literally stumbled across this ad on CL

temporary_zps7cf8e890.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sounds like a Performer to me. Since the guy is like 10 miles away from me I gave him a call to get as much information about this GAS grill as I could. Well to protect the innocent or the foolish I will not tell you what his name is. So I get Dave on the phone to explain to me what type of grill this is and what type of counter it has. He told me that the counter was plastic so I'm getting an idea of the model and year and since I have two performers sitting on the patio I wasn't a motivated buyer. At the end of the conversation with DAVE I asked him if the grill was black and he said "no it's green". I must say he has my interest now, I told him that I would call him after dinner to get his address so that I could come and look at the GAS grill. I called after dinner and DAVE didn't take my call, nor did he return my message, I really don't think I got that surly with him.

The next day the add was still up and DAVE didn't return my call, so after dinner I had the Lady of the House give DAVE a call and he was very helpful and accommodating to her. She got the address and after dinner we took a drive to DAVE's house. The kettle was in good shape the table was scratched to heck and the frame had some scratches and the charcoal bin was missing....for some odd reason. I told DAVE that it was a little rough for $50.00 and started to walk to my truck, he then asked if I'd buy it for $40.00 I said yes gave him the money and loaded this misused grill in back of the truck to go to a better home.

Here are a couple of pictures

temporary_zpsc3c28e1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zps9a51f4d6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see it's a DR so the Lady of the House started calling it Doctor Green.

temporary_zps6825b464.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zpsa5cbae53.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've already pitched the lava rocks and I should just be "grate-ful" that the charcoal grate is still there.

Now it's time to put "shorty" up on CL so that I can make room on the patio.

temporary_zpsd0fb8f88.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zps09f1b894.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I keep telling the Lady of the house that the only "safe" grill on the patio is my first Weber a 2010 performer and I purchased new at 50% off. However....when Weber makes that big performer, it might not be safe.

Wait.....was he using the gas assist as the actual heat source between those lava rocks????? If so I bet he thought that grilled sucked!

I saw a Performer on CL saying you can use it as a gas or charcoal grill. :)

Small confession, once, and I swear only once, my coals died right before the meat was done, so I gassed it! :rolleyes:

"....it just never seemed to get hot enough....and went through those little cans of gas like crazy!" :confused:

That is almost unbelievable! I bet he just about HATED that grill. Did he buy it new? How can anyone be that stupid? You got a great deal. Mine is that color green also, and I love that color.

I can belive it. The parting shot of the lady I bought my Performer off last week as I loaded it into the car was "remember you can use this bbq with charcloal or gas".
No lava rocks in mine but there was a bag of self starting charcoal (the type where you set fire to the entire bag) and and half a box of BBQ fire lighter cubes in the charcoal bin ....

Last edited:

Back