Maxed out.

Mark Dietrich

TVWBB Member
Plethora of Pork

Just got all six of these little beauties in my 18" WSM. Wasn't sure all of that was going to fit. I kind of had to stand them on edge, and teepee them.

My questions: Is this cool? Is it going to extend my cook time too much? Is there a way to fit more of them on there? I'm a little obsessed with getting meat in the freezer before it gets too cold up here.

Cheers to all,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Dietrich:
Plethora of Pork

Just got all six of these little beauties in my 18" WSM. Wasn't sure all of that was going to fit. I kind of had to stand them on edge, and teepee them.

My questions: Is this cool? <span class="ev_code_RED">Sure, the only thing you need to worry about is airflow....if they're touching a little, no biggie, they will shrink down in a couple hours. </span>

Is it going to extend my cook time too much? <span class="ev_code_RED">Not really, the main thing will be getting your temps up initially due to the 'mass' of cold meat. Once you get up to your desired cooking temp, it should be a normal butt cook. I've cooked 6 average butts and several 4 10-11lb butt cooks and the only difference was getting the temps up from the start.</span>

Is there a way to fit more of them on there? I'm a little obsessed with getting meat in the freezer before it gets too cold up here.

<span class="ev_code_RED">The problem with putting 'more' on would be moisture and humidity in the cooker, it would just be to much.....I think what you have is about max in my opinion! BTW, the butts look great! Take some pic's of them on the cooker for us!</span>

Cheers to all, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have room for a fatty for lunch.
icon_smile.gif

Ditto on the pics.

the amount doesnt matter as long as you have a little space in between each one. the only thing that your gonna have to worry about is more fuel consumption. the more meat you cook the more fuel it takes. time doesnt really change. you will also have to watch for temp spiking towards the end of the cook as the meat reachs higher internal temps. there will be less heat sink soaking up the heat and your cooker temps will start to rise.

Hi Mark,

Looks great, I have never tied up my shoulders before. That looks like a good idea to fit more on.
I will concur with Larry.

I shop at Restaurant Depot now and then on Snelling and Como, If you need something send me an email and I can meet you over there.
I just bought some bone-in shoulders there for .99/#. I'm not sure how that compares to what you paid for yours.

Good luck,

Dave

Mark,

Don't worry about getting all your cooks in before it gets too cold... if you've got the heart (and some good gloves) you can smoke in below-0 temperatures.

All it takes is a little extra fuel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Bethke:
Hi Mark,

Looks great, I have never tied up my shoulders before. That looks like a good idea to fit more on.

These are boneless, so if you don't tie them, they're basically impossible to work with. I was just following orders from the Mr. Brown recipe in Cooking Topics.

I shop at Restaurant Depot now and then on Snelling and Como, If you need something send me an email and I can meet you over there.
I just bought some bone-in shoulders there for .99/#. I'm not sure how that compares to what you paid for yours.

These were from Costco, and they were pretty good, something like $1.29/lb.

Good luck,

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So far so good. I'm about to open up the cooker and baste, so I'll try and get some more pictures. I'm 14 hours in right now. Meat is at 156.

Thanks for the tips, all.

Okay, turned, basted and rotated at a bit over 14 hours. Here's what I found.

topthree.jpg

wholething.jpg

Now they're basted, and I re-minioned the chamber. We're up to a steady 250, and the meat is back up to 157.

It's going to be a long one, but no big surprises so far.

Cheers,

For a guy that has not done a butt before,I have a stupid question. Are those butts covered with charcoal ash or is that the way they always look???
I'm still learning....

Chuck that blackened goodness is merely the bark on the butts. Some would argue it's the best part. You want your butts to look like meteorites when they're done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
Chuck that blackened goodness is merely the bark on the butts. Some would argue it's the best part. You want your butts to look like meteorites when they're done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes and No! They look very, very dry to me as they look like they are covered in ash/soot.
icon_eek.gif
My butts get dark, black even but are wet on the outside. Not so sure they look right to me.
icon_confused.gif
JMO

Well, now you all need to send pictures of your butts, because I'm confused. Might be the picture, but those were taken after fifteen hours. They weren't anywhere near done at that point. The end result wasn't at all dried out, but they were in there for another seven hours. Took forever to pull six of them, but they are spectacular. Might just skip the turkey today.

Have a good Thanksgiving, everyone...

Maybe its just the lighting or something but they do look like they may be covered in ash. Was the wind stiring up your ash?

I dug up a butt picture, like Bry said they should have a wet look to them.

Back