Maverick ET-732 vs. ET-73

Josh Lessard

Hi folks. The older ET-73 is about half the price of the ET-732 on amazon.com. Does anyone have experience using both thermometers? I'm wondering if it's worth ponying up the extra money for the 732.

Thanks.

Josh I've had the ET-73 for a few years with no probs. It's kinda like hit and miss some love it and some hate it.
Depends on personal opinions and experiences.
I'll say that I got a good one!

Tim

If you search the site you will find a few threads about both... I wanted to buy the 732 but after reading the reviews on Amazin I think I am going to hold off for a while.

Yeah, I read a lot of negative reviews as well. Seems like they're hit or miss. However, I have wireless digital Maverick thermometer at home, and it works great. I just don't have the dual probe system, and I need something to measure the grill temperature in my WSM. The build-in thermometer in the lid is off by 50-60 degrees!

I have had the ET-73 for 18 months. Even though I did the antenna mods I cannot get the signal through the single pane glass on our Florida room. I set the receiver against the glass and had the transmitter 4 feet away and could not get a signal. I leave both outside and read my temps through the window unless it's dark outside. I'm considering getting the 732 for the better range.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew Newby:
I have had the ET-73 for 18 months. Even though I did the antenna mods I cannot get the signal through the single pane glass on our Florida room. I set the receiver against the glass and had the transmitter 4 feet away and could not get a signal. I leave both outside and read my temps through the window unless it's dark outside. I'm considering getting the 732 for the better range. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you get a bigger thermometer. If you are only 4 feet away at the window, use a flash light and read a bigger thermometer. You don't really need to read the thermometer, just look to make sure the needle is in the right general area.

I have both. The 732 has better range. My house is 3200 sq ft and my WSM is on my back patio. I can be in my front driveway and not have any issues. Even when I go in the house, upstairs to my office which is also in the front of the house - still in range. Also the on/off buttons on the 732 are better than on the 73. On the 73 you have to remove the battery cover on the transmitter to access the on/off switch. On the 732 you just press a button on the back - no cover removal necessary. The probes on the 732 are a little more stout also - although it would have been nice if they were a little longer. But you can buy the longer probes if you want. I still have my 73 although I haven't used it since I got my 732. I will probably start using it again for certain cooks. If I were you I'd drop the extra dough on the 732. I got mine from here. Good luck.

I have both. The ET-732 gets reception anywhere in my house! The ET-73 can't maintain a signal thru a wall 10 feet away from the cooker! Enough said.

I think this thread settles the debate for me. I'll order an ET-732 from Amazon. :)

Have any of the ET-732 users on this board had trouble with the probes? The response for this product seems to be love it or hate it, depending on whether the probes actually work. That worries me a little...but the wireless Maverick I have has worked flawlessly since I got it over a year ago. Just doesn't have the dual probe system.

I have had a couple probes go bad on me - but it was mainly due to my own negligence. For example, once I was doing a tri-tip and I forgot to pull the food probe before I moved the meat directly over the fire for a reverse sear
icon_eek.gif
...OOOOOPSIE!!! Needless to say, my probe got cooked and was non-functional after that. The best thing to do is just be careful with them. Try not to expose them to extreme heat or direct flames (like I did). And also keep them away from mousture. Store them indoors in a cool dry environment and they should last for quite a while. If you want, drop a few extra bucks on the high-heet probes that are double-length (6 feet as opposed to 3). Good luck.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I like the ET-732. Great range, works great.

Two things I wish were different:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> The temp alarm setting only increments.
<LI>Probes have non-standard connectors (longer). They are this way to fit through the probe moisture seals - not a bad thing in itself.
[/list]

I have the 732 its great hasn't missed a beat since i got it. Only problem is now i have the rotisserie setup and can't use it. I wonder how long before someone brings out wireless probes
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

I have the single probe version of the 73. I just ordered the 73 for the dual probe. I just put the guru eyelets on my 22, So I went with the 73 over the 723 because of probe size being a problem going through the eyelets on the 723. I will only have the wireless unit about 10 feet or so away, so hopefully that will not be an issue wit the 73 (I have never had much of a problem out of the single probe unit)

Back