Maple Stout Baked Beans

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I got things worked out with my canceled bean cook yesterday. This was a crock pot recipe so I made a few changes in order to do them on the grill. It called for Navy Beans and I didn't have. In the "old" days I'd have jumped into my truck and made a run to the store. Wasn't going to do that. Found a bag of Cannellini beans in the pantry and went with those. Also called for salt pork which I didn't have and I wanted to save my bacon so I dug out a few pieces of my Tasso Ham and used that. It is really spicy. By sheer miracle I had a bottle of stout in my stash. I was a happy camper so I went for it. Here's the pictures.

Thawed and browned 12 ozs. of my Tasso and diced it.

DSC_3665 (Large).JPG

DSC_3669 (Large).JPG

Softened up a white onion.

DSC_3670 (Large).JPG

My Stout. Ended up using it all.

DSC_3686 (Large).JPG

Half pound of Pinto beans and half pound of the Cannellini. Other ingredients. Maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire, paprika, dry mustard, garlic salt and pepper.

DSC_3677 (Large).JPG

DSC_3680 (Large).JPG

DSC_3684 (Large).JPG

DSC_3688 (Large).JPG

All done. Simmered for 4 hours.

DSC_3693 (Large).JPG

DSC_3696 (Large).JPG

The beans were outstanding. The Cannellini Beans took much longer to get tender and I didn't want to increase beyond a simmer as I was concerned the Pintos would fall apart and get mushy. It all worked out. Overall, the beans were good and I was happy. The Tasso was an excellent substitution. Very spicy and great flavor. Liked the flavor from the stout beer too. Sided up the beans with some more ribs from last night. Thanks for looking everyone.

Man, talk about being innovative, geez Cliff that is a cat out of the hat. Understand that not jumping into the car and going to the store unless it's life or death. We are doing a lot of what have we got to make it work too.
Anyways great effort and cook.

You definitely know how to get things done, Cliff! The beans and leftover ribs and bread look delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Looking good, Cliff! I'll have to do a search for your tasso ham post (I'm sure you posted it...) :) The beans look great, but I have to know how you get beans tender in 4 hours. Did you do an overnight soak? "Quick soak" (boil then steep?) Other? I made pintos last week, and I think they were on the stove for 7 hours or more before I was happy with their texture.

Oh, and don't think I didn't notice the bread.....it's got a bit of a yellow tint to it. Just the pic you took, or did you add Semolina or another flour to your mix? Great looking crumb and crust!

Rich

EDIT: Yep, found YOUR TASSO POST!

You definitely know how to get things done, Cliff! The beans and leftover ribs and bread look delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Ed. Appreciate your always positive comments!

Looking good, Cliff! I'll have to do a search for your tasso ham post (I'm sure you posted it...) :) The beans look great, but I have to know how you get beans tender in 4 hours. Did you do an overnight soak? "Quick soak" (boil then steep?) Other? I made pintos last week, and I think they were on the stove for 7 hours or more before I was happy with their texture.

Oh, and don't think I didn't notice the bread.....it's got a bit of a yellow tint to it. Just the pic you took, or did you add Semolina or another flour to your mix? Great looking crumb and crust!

Rich

EDIT: Yep, found YOUR TASSO POST!

Thanks Rich. I soaked the beans overnight and let them roll until around 2:00 the following afternoon, around 16 hours. The tint on the bread could be the table lamp next to where I sit. I did substitute 46 g whole wheat for same of the AP. I've been playing around with that lately. This crust is one of the best I've done.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks amazing, and what an epic cook. Some incredible skill to make the changes on the fly, and cook such a beautiful dish.

Back