Maple Leaf Charcoal

J Lund

TVWBB Member
I have been buying Maple Leaf charcoal from KingSmoke for some time now. However, the shipping costs are gettin'pretty high so I am taking a second thought about this stuff.

I'd really like to get my hands on some Maple Leaf Lump but I understand that it is only marketed in Canada.

Anyway, I am aware of only a couple sources, KingSmoke and one other, for the charcoal and would like to hear if anyone is using it and where they buy it.

John, I have over 100lbs of Maple Leaf Lump in my garage, I'm nuts about the stuff. It smells so darn good and it's awesome for grilling, great flavour. I realize that doesn't do you any good though. Sorry to hear it.
icon_frown.gif

I wonder if the lumber trade disputes and associated tariffs between Canada and US have anything to do with the difficulty getting it down there. Anybody know?

What do you think of the Maple Leaf briquettes John? How do they compare to Kingsford?

Kevin, I've had B&B but never heard of Ozark Oak. Where do you get it? Think I will try some Wicked Good as well.

Shawn, 100 lbs, WOW, wish I had 2 lbs of Maple Leaf lump. May have to take a drive to Canada!

Honestly, I have no idea why the lump isn't marketed here and why there are only a few distributors in the states that sell the charcoal.

Now where is that import/export license!

I have not used maple leaf but I have found that Royal Oak is a very good lump. It can be had at Gordon Food services or Sam's club for a good price. I would avoid cowboy charcoal.

Thanks Doug. I didn't realize Royal Oak can be found at Sam's. I just hope my Sam's carries it!

Shawn, Maple Leaf Charcoal is far superior over Kingsford in my opinion. I think that's because Maple Leaf is basically a lump compressed into briquettes, am I right? I think it burns and smells like lump. And I'm running out of it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J Lund:
...Shawn, Maple Leaf Charcoal is far superior over Kingsford in my opinion. I think that's because Maple Leaf is basically a lump compressed into briquettes, am I right? I think it burns and smells like lump. And I'm running out of it!... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding is Maple Leaf briquettes are made from their lump leftovers with only wheat paste as a binder. No fillers like clay in Kingsford or other additives.

It's available from a local retailer for me and I will be trying it out. I think I should get excellent burn times for Minion Method cooks. Have you used it for Minion Method cooks? If so do you know how long a full ring can last for you?

A TVWBB member who dislikes Kingsford has used the Maple Leaf product and told me it's great so I am anticipating great results.

If you are interested John I can try to ship you some. We can try to find a good deal on shipping and I will see if I can get a discount if I buy in quantity from the store. Just Email me at my TVWBB profile email address.

Ok Shawn. I will contact you shortly and we can go from there.

By the way. I am only 15 miles from Weber. Every once in awhile, they have a "yard sale" with all their products heavily discounted. So, maybe I can help you out as well.

Thanks again.

John,
If Maple Leaf can be purchased in Windsor Canada, I live near Detroit MI and could bring some to you the next time I go to Chicago.

Rona is supposed to carry it chain wide and year-round. At Rona.ca website I found two Windsor Locations:

7350 Catherine Street
Windsor, ON, N8T 3P9
Phone: 519-251-4741
Fax: 519-251-0301

2437 Howard Avenue
Windsor, ON, N8X 3V5
Phone: 519-253-3517
Fax: 519-977-9983

Price here in Alberta is about $15 CDN for 20? lb bag (before y'all flip out, Kingsford, if you can find it now is around $13/20lb avg). Perhaps just call the store to make sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Price here in Alberta is about $15 CDN for 20? lb bag (before y'all flip out, Kingsford, if you can find it now is around $13/20lb avg). Perhaps just call the store to make sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty steep for Kingsford. I pay $9.95 for 48 pounds at BJ's. I'm sure Sam's pricing is similar. I had no idea tariffs were that high.

I have two skids in my basement,about 2000lbs of the stuff.As far as i am concerned the best lump out there.It cost 7.97$ canadian per bag(8 kilos or 17.16lbs)

Aaron, where and how did you get it for that price??? I think I paid $15/17lb bag of Maple Leaf lump from Rona.

If it could be gotten in Windsor and it was only $7.97 Canadian, that would be a good deal for me. I buy Royal Oak lump for about the same price in U.S. dollars. Naked Whiz rated Royal Oak a 4.8 and Maple Leaf a 5. At that price, even if Maple Leaf isn't that much better than Royal Oak, it would be worth the trip over the border.

I called the Rona's in Windsor and they said they've never stocked Maple Leaf. I'll still try to find some, but I don't know the types merchants there very well.

Ok Jerry. Well, Charbon de Bois company phone number is (418)329-2977 if you wish to call them and find out if they know who sells their product in Windsor area.

Maybe you guys can contact me at my email address in my public profile (we can take this offline from the forum) for further discussions on 'how to get some to John'.

Shawn

We've planned our annual summer road trip to Whitehorse and Dawson in June. Don't really expect to find any Maple Leaf lump in Dawson but Whitehorse may have some possibilities. Of course, you don't go to the Yukon looking for bargains in lump charcoal. It would be interesting to stick a couple bags in the SUV and give it a try. I've never used anything but Kingsford.

Griff

Shawn,
I think I will leave the finding of who sells it in Windsor to John. As long as it's not too far from Detroit, I'll go get it.

I wouldn't mind trying the Maple Leaf, but with a steady supply of Royal Oak and about 10 boxes of Kamado, I don't really need it. I just offered the transportation of it to John because when you live in Detroit, any excuse to go to Chicago is a good one. Helping out a member of this board is just icing on the cake.

Shawn & Jerry, let's talk via email. My email address is in my profile. We shouldn't take up forum space while we work on this.

If we come up with a source that other's can benefit from, we can come back to the forum to share that information.

Talk to you soon. Thanks

Back