Managing Fire to cook 101

Joseph K

TVWBB Member
I think a big part of barbecuing and grilling is on knowing how to use (control and manage) fire to cook... which I am still struggling, to be honest.

After experiencing some struggles, I concluded that the time window to cook without causing my food to catch foul smell from the charcoals I am using is quite short. And also that I should not leave food on coals when it has lost its power to cook.

So, if I categorize, when
1. Charcoals black but burning: Not preferred to put food on
2. Charcoals grey and black: When no more smoke, yes, start to cook
3. Charcoals grey and red (no black): cook!!
4. Charcoals completely grey (no red) but still hot to cook but dying: Not preferred to leave food on

My recent experiment is telling me that when I encounter situation 4., if I leave food on to cook a bit more thinking can utilize the heat from the ashed charcoals, I catch foul smell from the charcoal on to my food. I clearly noticed some foul smoke when charcoals were dying. Is this right observation? Or is this also dependent on charcoals? I would appreciate your input on this.

So, I am thinking, when charcoals are grey and red (when it is at the hottest and burning), this is the only duration I can safely cook.

BTW, I understand that this may not applicable for smoking (barbecuing) and there are many other methods such as indirect, zoning, snake ...
I am just focusing on the condition of fire (and consequently, the source which is briquette or lump) and its effects on food.

But, I guess there are two things I am dealing with. The quality of charcoals and how to use the fire from the charcoal I am using in an efficient manner.

Any input will be appreciated.

BTW, when snaking or any gradual method of smoking, how do you get around the stingy smell from the initial burning of charcoals from getting into your food?
I am thinking with snaking, simply you cannot prevent it because the dark smoke will smear through your food constantly as new briquettes are introduced continuously.

Stop using things like Kingsford or other briquettes full of chemicals and mastic. Use ones made of actual compressed hardwood only or use lump. All the rest are foul smelling IMO.

Stop using things like Kingsford or other briquettes full of chemicals and mastic. Use ones made of actual compressed hardwood only or use lump. All the rest are foul smelling IMO.
Hi Larry, yeah, maybe I should. What do you use and where do you get them from, if I may?

I buy only hardwood lump when I use coal. After smelling and tasting the difference between real wood carbon and petro chemical pillows. Honestly when I need it I buy just about anything Royal Oak, what have you. As long as it is truly lump it'll be so much better than anything made from dinosaur bits and mastic

Hi Larry, thanks for the input. I will experiment Royal Oak and let you know.
I think I have tried Royal Oak, too though... from Lowes (image below). But, the Royal Oak that I tried may be a low-end version. I searched and found few other kinds of Royal Oak.

Yeah I am not fussy about lump. If it is labeled 100% hardwood lump I am happy. I have never noticed any difference between brands. But I can smell briquettes a mile away

Joesph... Literally just up the street from you....

Woodshed Firewood Co - Firewood supplier
1015 N Batavia St # A
Orange, CA 92867
(714) 771-2626
Opens at 9:00 AM
thewoodshedoc.com

They did carry both Royal Oak Chef's Select charcoal briquettes and Blues Hog lump charcoal. Also have excellent smoking woods...
Good people too !

When we go to California to see our kids in Huntington Beach we always stop at the Woodshed and stock back up. Like Bob said nice people to deal with and right off the 55 freeway on the way in.

BTW, when snaking or any gradual method of smoking, how do you get around the stingy smell from the initial burning of charcoals from getting into your food?

There is nothing to get around.

Tons of people on here use KBB. Tons of people on here use some version of the Minion/snake method. Tons of people get great results from that approach.

Last weekend I did a 15 hour overnight cook on my WSM that started with a huge pile of unlit charcoal and exactly 10 lit briquets. Used KBB. Didn't have to add any extra charcoal until hour 13. The wife can't stop talking about how awesome everything came out.

Go ahead and play around with lump and see if you like it. But you are way over thinking this.

Put a good amount of unlit KBB charcoal in your grill. That is your insurance against the fire dying out too early. Layer on a bunch of well lit coals from your chimney. How hot and long you want the fire to burn will determine how many lit coals to use initially. More lit coals equals hotter fire. Because more coals will be burning at first. And because those more initial hot coals will light up the unlit faster.

Then cook. Eat. Enjoy.

If you need to add coals during the cook, add lit coals from a chimney. Because lit coals will add heat much more quickly to a dying fire than unlit.

Save any unburned coals left after you snuff the grill off for your next cook.

Last edited:
When we go to California to see our kids in Huntington Beach we always stop at the Woodshed and stock back up. Like Bob said nice people to deal with and right off the 55 freeway on the way in.
Hi Rich, Yeah, I already visited the website and the owners have a simple store dedicated for woods. Will definitely have a visit over this weekend. Thanks.

There is nothing to get around.

Tons of people on here use KBB. Tons of people on here use some version of the Minion/snake method. Tons of people get great results from that approach.

Last weekend I did a 15 hour overnight cook on my WSM that started with a huge pile of unlit charcoal and exactly 10 lit briquets. Used KBB. Didn't have to add any extra charcoal until hour 13. The wife can't stop talking about how awesome everything came out.

Go ahead and play around with lump and see if you like it. But you are way over thinking this.

Put a good amount of unlit KBB charcoal in your grill. That is your insurance against the fire dying out too early. Layer on a bunch of well lit coals from your chimney. How hot and long you want the fire to burn will determine how many lit coals to use initially. More lit coals equals hotter fire. Because more coals will be burning at first. And because those more initial hot coals will light up the unlit faster.

Then cook. Eat. Enjoy.

If you need to add coals during the cook, add lit coals from a chimney. Because lit coals will add heat much more quickly to a dying fire than unlit.

Save any unburned coals left after you snuff the grill off for your next cook.
Alright, Jim!! Thanks for the suggestion and will try as you suggested.
BTW, WOW 15 hours? how many charcoal pieces did you have to use? Was it whole bag (20LBS) of KBB or more?

I was using a WSM, so it is designed to run for a loong time at a low temp. I also didn't have any water in the pan, which greatly reduces fuel consumption. And I have the 18, which is more efficient than the 22.

Running at 240-250 for 12+ hours is about a half bag; maybe 2/3rds, of a 20# bag.

But my broader point is that you have little to fear from KBB unlit gradually lighting up as you cook. You really only get the plumes of bad gray smoke when firing up a big load in the chimney to start.

So start with two chimneys of lit. Or one lit, and then later add a second chimney of lit. And later a third chimney if you need it. That way you never have any unlit in your grill (even though I don't see that as a problem).

The white smoke is just to let your neighbors know that they are going to miss some good chow! Doesn't hurt anything.

I was using a WSM, so it is designed to run for a loong time at a low temp. I also didn't have any water in the pan, which greatly reduces fuel consumption. And I have the 18, which is more efficient than the 22.

Running at 240-250 for 12+ hours is about a half bag; maybe 2/3rds, of a 20# bag.

But my broader point is that you have little to fear from KBB unlit gradually lighting up as you cook. You really only get the plumes of bad gray smoke when firing up a big load in the chimney to start.

So start with two chimneys of lit. Or one lit, and then later add a second chimney of lit. And later a third chimney if you need it. That way you never have any unlit in your grill (even though I don't see that as a problem).
Alright, more to experiment. Thanks.

Back