Making pizza on the WSM.

Id try putting a ceiling of some sort in it. See if you can get a welding shop to plasma cut you one like what Kettle Pizza sells. It needs to have a few vents in it so it can draft and burn hotter.

Also have you made really good pizza in your oven over this last winter? Id recommend getting really good at making pizza in an oven first. That way you got that part down when it comes time to doing it over the fire. Then all you can work on getting your setup dialed in.

Last edited:
Here are 3 recent attempts at making pizza.

First two are on the oven using the baking steel. Last one is on the Kettle Pizza.

July 15, 2017:

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/IGL15/layout/grid

I didn't have problems with the dough transfer this time.

I cooked it for 5 minutes @ 450 degrees, then used the broiler on high for 5 minutes.

5 minutes on the broiler was too much.

July 24, 2017:

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/KGi5D/layout/grid

The dough transfer was fine again this time.

I moved the steel from the 2nd from the bottom, to the 2nd to the top.

I cooked it for 8 minutes @ 500 degrees, then the broiler on high for 3-4 minutes.

I think I still did the broiler too long.

But, I liked how this pizza bottom came out better.

I also think the 2nd from the bottom was a better position, but am not sure. I think 450 degrees was a better temperature, but am not sure.

What do you think/

July 31, 2017:

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/VrLGy/layout/grid

I used the Kettle Pizza this time.

This dough was a little sticker.

I had trouble with the transfer this time. The back of the pizza (the part farthest away from the peel handle) got deformed.

I didn't have a good fire this time. I also didn't put a lid on the Kettle Pizza, because I didn't want to cut off air flow because of how the fire wasn't good.

I think I know now how to create a better fire, btw.

The top wasn't cooking at all.

After 15 minutes, I gave up and took it off the Kettle Pizza. The bottom was all black.

The 2nd to the last picture is what it looks like after I took it off the Kettle Pizza.

I then put it in the oven broiler for 3 minutes, so I could get the top done.

The last picture is what it looks like after the broiler.

Here's an old picture from January 2017 of my set up:

http://imgur.com/aleXeyg

Given that this is my setup, with that baking steel, how can I get the top better? How can I cook the top? Do I need the lid on?

What else can I do? Assume I can get the fire much better.

If I can't do anything given my steel and overall setup, that's fine. I'll just stick with the steel in the oven.

I don't know if I want to get a smaller cast iron or steel. Right now, it's easier to have 2 simple choices, deep dish cast iron for deep dish pizza, or baking steel for thinner pizza.

If I were to get one more cookware, then I'd have to factor in the size vs. the other two options and that will make it harder for me to decide.

Plus, I prefer making larger pizzas and having left overs.

Id try putting a ceiling of some sort in it. See if you can get a welding shop to plasma cut you one like what Kettle Pizza sells. It needs to have a few vents in it so it can draft and burn hotter.

Also have you made really good pizza in your oven over this last winter? Id recommend getting really good at making pizza in an oven first. That way you got that part down when it comes time to doing it over the fire. Then all you can work on getting your setup dialed in.

So something like this but for the 18" Kettle Pizza, right?

https://www.kettlepizza.com/product/22-5-baking-steel-ss/

I can go to the metal shop which trimmed my pizza peel so that it was less wide. What do you think?

Arun... I'm sure you will get a good response to your post here. A lot of super pizza makers in this forum. I sure give you a lot of credit for hanging in there and sticking with it. Personally, I love the KP. When I started I strictly stuck to the method of use recommended my the makers of the KP, that being one full chimney of coals spread around the rear of the kettle in a C formation. Make sure your stone is up to temp, this is important. Once it is, lay some dry pieces of oak on the coals to boost the temp. You should attain temperatures exceeding 700 degrees. The transfer from peel to stone was tricky for me too. I use corn meal on the peel to facilitate the transfer. The trick is to "test" that the pizza is not stuck before you attempt to transfer by giving it a gentle shake. You might need to do this a couple of times while you add your toppings. Getting the top hot enough was a problem initially for the KP. Then they came out with the baking steel that fits nicely over the top of the KP giving plenty of upper heat. I bought one of those and it works terrific. As you mentioned you can choose to fabricate something of your own to accomplish the same thing. Either that or do as the original instructions from KP directed, lift the peel as far up into the dome as you can for the last 30 seconds or so of the cook. Good luck to you. You might want to do a search of the site, looking for pizza, and review others posts. There's a lot of ideas and techniques provided here.

Arun... I'm sure you will get a good response to your post here. A lot of super pizza makers in this forum. I sure give you a lot of credit for hanging in there and sticking with it. Personally, I love the KP. When I started I strictly stuck to the method of use recommended my the makers of the KP, that being one full chimney of coals spread around the rear of the kettle in a C formation. Make sure your stone is up to temp, this is important. Once it is, lay some dry pieces of oak on the coals to boost the temp. You should attain temperatures exceeding 700 degrees. The transfer from peel to stone was tricky for me too. I use corn meal on the peel to facilitate the transfer. The trick is to "test" that the pizza is not stuck before you attempt to transfer by giving it a gentle shake. You might need to do this a couple of times while you add your toppings. Getting the top hot enough was a problem initially for the KP. Then they came out with the baking steel that fits nicely over the top of the KP giving plenty of upper heat. I bought one of those and it works terrific. As you mentioned you can choose to fabricate something of your own to accomplish the same thing. Either that or do as the original instructions from KP directed, lift the peel as far up into the dome as you can for the last 30 seconds or so of the cook. Good luck to you. You might want to do a search of the site, looking for pizza, and review others posts. There's a lot of ideas and techniques provided here.

Thanks. I'll keep the lid on.

And lift the peel close to the dome toward the end of the cook.

That baking steel dome says it's for the 22". I have the 18" WSM, so the Kettle Pizza is modded for the 18".

I will try using the lid of my WSM first, but if that doesn't work, I'll get a custom dome.

Also, I have hickory and applewood, not oak. I used hickory during my last attempt.

I will also test that the pizza is not stuck, before transferring it on the peel. Good idea.

BTW, just to make sure, I don't use the peel during the cook, correct? I cook it on the steel. Then when the bottom is done, I slide it on the peel and lift it to the top of the lid. Right?

Here's a pic of my setup from January, just in case you missed it, and wanted to point out anything else.

I'll take more updated pics next time.

http://imgur.com/aleXeyg

Arun, Your setup is not ideal and it will continue to give you issues but, its what you have to work with so hopefully you can overcome these issues and turn out some great pizza.
I use my KP on a 22" kettle not a WSM but the times I have seen people using the KP on a WSM they use the center stack of the smoker to lift the grill higher off the fire. This will provide more air flow and allows them to feed the fire through the door. With an 18" WSM this would really be necessary because of the small area you have for charcoal and wood, there is no way to keep the fire from directly under the pizza steel. With fire directly under the steel, the steel will be way too hot and burn the bottom long before the top of the pizza could even start to cook.
The WSM also has a higher dome in the lid than the kettle and the kettle dome is really to high for the KP. I would really recommend putting something on top of the KP to lower the ceiling height to get that heat over the top of the pizza. I've seen people wrap an extra cooking grate in foil to place on top. You also may want to think about buying a pizza stone that fits in the KP and put that large pizza steel on top of the KP.
35694770843_18705ab6d2.jpg

This picture is not the best but when I lay my coals out they are in a C pattern. Leaving the middle and front with no heat. There will be plenty of heat from the back and sides to heat the stone and cook the top.
36484784325_24595380f6.jpg

Here is a look at the setup just before I put a pizza in.
Here is a look at one of the pizzas I made
35694863003_e6764f1ffa.jpg

and the bottom
36457210586_b448ff319d.jpg

Arun, Your setup is not ideal and it will continue to give you issues but, its what you have to work with so hopefully you can overcome these issues and turn out some great pizza.
I use my KP on a 22" kettle not a WSM but the times I have seen people using the KP on a WSM they use the center stack of the smoker to lift the grill higher off the fire. This will provide more air flow and allows them to feed the fire through the door. With an 18" WSM this would really be necessary because of the small area you have for charcoal and wood, there is no way to keep the fire from directly under the pizza steel. With fire directly under the steel, the steel will be way too hot and burn the bottom long before the top of the pizza could even start to cook.
The WSM also has a higher dome in the lid than the kettle and the kettle dome is really to high for the KP. I would really recommend putting something on top of the KP to lower the ceiling height to get that heat over the top of the pizza. I've seen people wrap an extra cooking grate in foil to place on top. You also may want to think about buying a pizza stone that fits in the KP and put that large pizza steel on top of the KP.

This picture is not the best but when I lay my coals out they are in a C pattern. Leaving the middle and front with no heat. There will be plenty of heat from the back and sides to heat the stone and cook the top.

and the bottom

Looks good and pretty sound advice.

I would suggest that you use your current steel as the celing because it will reflect heat back down on to the topside of your pizza. Then use a stone for the cooking surface. A stone will run cooler than a steel and it will help balance out the cooking time difference between the bottom side and top side of the pizza. You need to slow down the cooking speed of the underside and speed up the cooking speed of the top side. That way they are closer to the same time.

and the bottom

Looks good and pretty sound advice.

I would suggest that you use your current steel as the celing because it will reflect heat back down on to the topside of your pizza. Then use a stone for the cooking surface. A stone will run cooler than a steel and it will help balance out the cooking time difference between the bottom side and top side of the pizza. You need to slow down the cooking speed of the underside and speed up the cooking speed of the top side. That way they are closer to the same time.

Thank you.

For now, on my next attempt, I'll put the Kettle Pizza on top of the middle cooking section.

And I'll put the lid on top.

Do you think the steel will still get hot enough?

If putting the lid on isn't enough, then I'll try try to get something fabricated at a metal shop so they can create a top portion. Like the add-on Kettle Pizza sells, but for 18".

And if that doesn't work, then I'll get a smaller steel / stone. I want to avoid this though as right now, it makes my decision making easier, cast iron for deep dish or steel for thinner pizza. And I'm afraid that if I get another steel / stone, then I won't use the one I have.

How many briquettes should I be warming up for a pizza? And should I keep adding some lump charcoal?

Yes, the steel should still get hot enough. The idea is to keep it from getting too hot. With the middle cooking section in, there will be a lot more air flow and your fire should be able to get really hot. You will need to manage the fire to keep the bottom of the pizza from burning before the top is done. The lower you can get the ceiling the better. While the steel (and bottom of pizza) will be heated from direct heat, the top of the pizza will be heated from indirect heat. The heat will need to to be directed on to the top of the pizza.

When I cook pizzas in my KP I try to take the lid off for any reason. I dont want all the heat to escape. With the WSM you can manage your fire through the front door. As far as the amount of coals you will need, that all depends on how many pizzas you're planning to make. I would just start with a large lit chimney full, dump it in and throw on some wood splits I use this:

36484782925_a61155a4b2.jpg

I usually put in two at a time and try to keep them towards the back and to the sides. I do not want fire directly under my stone. Now, you have an 18" WSM so you will have to have fire under the steel but try to keep most of the coals and wood towards the back and sides as possible. Once the fire is going good close the door on WSM and wait for your steel to heat.

Best of luck.

Yes, the steel should still get hot enough. The idea is to keep it from getting too hot. With the middle cooking section in, there will be a lot more air flow and your fire should be able to get really hot. You will need to manage the fire to keep the bottom of the pizza from burning before the top is done. The lower you can get the ceiling the better. While the steel (and bottom of pizza) will be heated from direct heat, the top of the pizza will be heated from indirect heat. The heat will need to to be directed on to the top of the pizza.

When I cook pizzas in my KP I try to take the lid off for any reason. I dont want all the heat to escape. With the WSM you can manage your fire through the front door. As far as the amount of coals you will need, that all depends on how many pizzas you're planning to make. I would just start with a large lit chimney full, dump it in and throw on some wood splits I use this:

36484782925_a61155a4b2.jpg

I usually put in two at a time and try to keep them towards the back and to the sides. I do not want fire directly under my stone. Now, you have an 18" WSM so you will have to have fire under the steel but try to keep most of the coals and wood towards the back and sides as possible. Once the fire is going good close the door on WSM and wait for your steel to heat.

Best of luck.

Let's say I'm making 1 pizza.

Should I use any lump charcoal?

Since you mentioned splits, do you think they are the best wood option I have?

I have:

* Cowboy hickory wood splits. I tried it for smoking and was told they were too big for smoking in the WSM.

754087531659.jpg

* Cowboy Applewood Wood Chunks

* Sharpe Hickory Wood Chunks (this is what I use now, they're about 1/2 the size of the Cowboy Hickory. The Cowboy has been mostly unused since I only used it once.)

Wondering if any of you with the KettlePizza could please tell me the thickness of the metal and the height. I am debating on doing up my own for fun with my MiniWSM. I know that CaseT has made one out of a Tamale pot for it but I was thinking stainless steel sheet and SS pop rivets.

http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/weber-jumbo-joe-barrel-extension/
They use aluminum within this one.

I called Kettle Pizza last year, here's the info I got on the mouth opening. I'll try and measure the thickness and get back to you.

Ok, after calling Kettle Pizza and Pizza Craft, here are the dimensions for the mouth opening:

1) Kettle Pizza:

17" across
3.5" high in the center, with it tapered downward to a 1" height at the end.

According to Amazon, the overall height is 7".

Last edited:

When I cook pizzas in my KP I try to take the lid off for any reason.
I dont want all the heat to escape. With the WSM you can manage your fire through the front door.

I think you're right, I won't need to lift the lid after I put my lit coals in place.

I have a laser thermometer so I can get readings of the steel.

I can also use the Flame Boss to make sure the temperature doesn't drop too low. I can set it at its 450 degrees max.

So I can concentrate on sliding the pizza in; cooking it; lifting it to the top of the lid near the end; and removing the pizza.

Best of luck.

I saw the Kettle Pizza book recommended this formation too. And I've tried to follow it.

Just wondering why that is recommended, though. Wouldn't I want the fire to cover as much of the steel as possible, so as much of the pizza gets higher temperatures as possible?

Rather than having the highest temperatures at the back.

Ideally you want the cooking surface and the air above the pizza to be close in temperature. That way it cooks even. Putting a fire directly under the cooking surface will increase the temp with out increasing the air temp above the pizza. That makes the bottom burn while having an under done top side.

Ideally you want the cooking surface and the air above the pizza to be close in temperature. That way it cooks even. Putting a fire directly under the cooking surface will increase the temp with out increasing the air temp above the pizza. That makes the bottom burn while having an under done top side.

Ok, so the purpose of keeping the fire in the back is to help get the air to flow to the area above the pizza then, right?

Ideally it's there to increase the temp above the pizza. The flame comes up and hits the low ceiling then travels across the top side of the pizza.

I have one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9X3UROLQWY and very much a work in progress. But I think the principal is the same for any pizza oven. Get the BBQ hot, then hotter still. I posted here on this forum about how, and was told to use 1+ 1/2 chimney starter of charcoal, possibly two, mostly at the back and let it get hot 220'C +.

Assembling the pizza, make dour, plenty of flour & role in turn it, nice and thin. Add your topping, not too much and flour on your pizza paddle, then straight into oven (don't let pizza sit). Turn after 3-4mins, turn 180'. Another 3 mins. First pizza is always pants.

I've jumped into this thread, so apologies, if this has already been mentioned. Been practising for family gathering, and been eating pizza's for about 3 weeks. Sick of them now :rolleyes:

PS flour the pizza stone as well.

PPS get a Weber pizza paddle (6691)

Last edited:
I have one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9X3UROLQWY and very much a work in progress. But I think the principal is the same for any pizza oven. Get the BBQ hot, then hotter still. I posted here on this forum about how, and was told to use 1+ 1/2 chimney starter of charcoal, possibly two, mostly at the back and let it get hot 220'C +.

Assembling the pizza, make dour, plenty of flour & role in turn it, nice and thin. Add your topping, not too much and flour on your pizza paddle, then straight into oven (don't let pizza sit). Turn after 3-4mins, turn 180'. Another 3 mins. First pizza is always pants.

I've jumped into this thread, so apologies, if this has already been mentioned. Been practising for family gathering, and been eating pizza's for about 3 weeks. Sick of them now :rolleyes:

PS flour the pizza stone as well.

PPS get a Weber pizza paddle (6691)

Good tips on turning. I haven't done that.

So when turning, do you slide it back onto the peel, hold the peel with one hand, and turn the pizza with your other hand?

Or do you sort of make the pizza jump on the peel and make it rotate like that?

You could watch this vid by this pair of characters. If you want to skip the outrageous Weber advertising, go to 7mins where they start cooking the pizza, although he still manages to burn it (like I did tonight). Very very hot oven, 3mins per turn; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El0ABq9jMU8

Have a Weber pizza paddle or something very similar, dust stone and paddle with flour, easy peasy!

Back