Making beef jerky on the WSM 22” at 170 degrees

Mike Arnold

Hi,
I have a WSM 22” and would like to smoke beef jerky. The instructions call for 170 degrees.
I have never smoked at such a low temperature.

How do you set up the smoker to keep at this temperature? Water in the pan or not?
I was thinking of using the snake method for this but not sure how to set it up and how much lit charcoal to start with to maintain this temperature. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I did it on the 18" smoker. I put a square of fire bricks dead center and put about 10 lit briquets of charcoal, no water pan. Loaded the grates with sliced marinated beef and let it go for around 4 hours. Adjusted the vents to keep it within 170-175 degrees. Thru some walnut wood on.

No water, you want to dry the meat.
A snake fuse works great, but brand of briquets makes a difference, A single row of KBB should get the job done. A temp of 170F is not set in stone, I shoot for 150 to 190.
Small chunks of smoke wood spaced around works well, so does chips. It won't need a lot of smoke since the pieces are pretty small.
Of course outside temp comes into play also.

I’ve done as low as 140-150 on my 18 inch. You can easily stay low with a snake set up. Good tips by other commenters.

Hi,
I have a WSM 22” and would like to smoke beef jerky. The instructions call for 170 degrees.
I have never smoked at such a low temperature.

How do you set up the smoker to keep at this temperature? Water in the pan or not?
I was thinking of using the snake method for this but not sure how to set it up and how much lit charcoal to start with to maintain this temperature. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I've used this method in my 18" WSM for over 15 years:

One chimney of charcoal approx 40 unlit briquettes.

Appropriate amount of smoke wood, usually hickory.

3-10 pre-lit coals placed atop the pile of charcoal (40 unlit charcoal briquettes) and smoke wood.

Smoke for five hours or so at 145F.

For jerky I prefer 180F, smoke with apple/cherry/plum.....think about adding an extra rack or hang the jerky from the grill racks.....you don't want to do 1/2 a pound at a time....i like using pink salt just so i don't have to worry about it sitting at room temp for a few after it's made....i usually go to PCC/Whole foods etc and get a whole primal round roast.....cut out the obvious fat to make stew and smoke the rest......a slicer is an awesome addition

I purchased an extra top grate to place inverted on the top grate and so it allows me to add approx 30% more meat. RULE #1: do not crowd the grates. Allow sufficient space 'tween the strips for both heat and air circulation. I normally smoke about 3 - 4.5 pounds of bottom/top round into jerky. The low smoke temperature starting at 85F gradually rises to 145F and gives me just a hint of tenderness and imho 180F (with all due respect) sounds awfully high. Mine is smoked for around 4-5 hours and it takes that long for the temp to reach 145F and yes, I gradually open the vents as time goeth on.

I like to remove both cooking racks and hang jerky, summer sausage, kielbasa, bacon, etc on skewers atop the expandable smoking rack. I use an empty water pan with a ceramic potting dish in it as a heat sink. I line up two rows of charcoal briquettes domino style so as a pair burns it lights the next (some people call it a snake, fuse, ‘C’, whatever…). Place smoke smoke wood a top the charcoal for flavor. About 3/4 the way around I taper off to one row to lower the heat. All vents wide open, light the end with a starter cube, tumbleweed, etc., wait a few hours until it bends the way you like, let it cool, then put it in a zip lock to keep it moist.

Last edited:
I use a higher temp, but then again I do not use any nitrates etc.
Three problems:
Need to make a lot more at a time so need an oven or such and hang pieces on the racks.
Have to keep refrigerated cause no preservatives, no idea how long it will last but usually less than an hour and all gone...
I can never remember the recipe so the best is always that one I did years ago.

Back